On 29-31 January 2013, ADB organized the Conference on Promoting Innovations in Wastewater Management in Asia and the Pacific. Government executives, wastewater industry practitioners, private sector partners from the ADB members participated in the event.
At the conference, ADB formally launched its Promoting Innovations in Wastewater Management project which aims to expand wastewater management in the region through knowledge management, innovative technology options, financing mechanisms, identifying private sector business opportunities and capacity development. In an Action Planning session, country participants formulated draft wastewater action plans to bring wastewater and septage management in key cities and towns.
This in-country workshop will bring together key stakeholders, including donors, to finalize the action plan for Bangladesh.
- To help cities elaborate their identified action plans which will:
- meet their sanitation needs, including integration of wastewater and sludge management into city development plans;
- identify potential wastewater projects for development of pre-feasibility studies and investment opportunity briefs which can be discussed with potential partners at the investors roundtables; and
- address constraints, e.g., lack of supporting policies and institutional arrangements, inadequate budget, lack of capacity, etc.
- To identify specific activities, resources needed and how it can be acquired, timelines, and specific outputs that will bring the cities closer towards attainment of action plans
This workshop is being organized by ADB and partners: the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, JICA, DANIDA, KfW, Cities Development Initiative Asia, and SNV Netherlands Development Organisation.
Relevant officers from Khulna, coastal towns, and secondary towns supported by ADB projects are expected to participate. Representatives from the Department of Public Health Engineering, Local Government Engineering Department and Policy Supporting Unit, Local Government Division are also invited.Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.