Since its launch in December 2013, the Asia Leadership Program has been held in the Republic of Korea (2016 and 2014), Japan (2015), India (2013), and the Philippines (2012). This year, the Program will be hosted by ADBI and will follow the theme “Climate resilient, sustainable, and inclusive urban development.” The Program will use a blended learning approach, with online learning activities culminating in a face-to-face event on 27-30 June, and complemented with online learning activities after the Program.
Pre-event learning activities will include e-courses and webinars to deepen understanding of how to lead policy reforms and projects by taking advantage of a menu of financing mechanisms and innovative technology practices.
The event on 27-30 June will allow participants to refine their plans taking into account the three pillars of policy reforms, technological innovations and financing mechanisms, as well as four priority leadership competencies (strategic thinking, problem solving, collaboration, and effective communications).
Post-event learning activities will enable participants to
- Share insights, learning and reflections as blog posts in the online Community of Leaders, other stories related to their projects, and useful online resources;
- Participate in webinars that cover topics not discussed in detail during the face-to-face sessions
- Participate or manage online discussion forums with other Asia Leadership Program alumni, speakers, and partners. Participants will receive certificates of Program completion upon submission of their learning outputs.
Day 1 will focus on key policy challenges in climate resilient, sustainable, and inclusive urban development through discussions with city leaders, as well as “lessons learned” in leadership techniques. Tools to assess and monitor achievement of related SDGs and implementation of nationally determined contributions will be included.
Day 2 will focus on high level technology innovations in clean energy, urban transport, and waste management, as well as innovative inclusive development initiatives supporting urban poverty alleviation, public health, and elderly care. Innovative financing mechanisms such as the Green Climate Fund, the Government of Japan’s Joint Crediting Mechanism, and PPPs will also be discussed.
Day 3 will focus on case studies on the three pillars and the five leadership competencies. On Day 4, participants will share insights and ideas for applying what they have learned, prior to the awarding of Asia Leadership Program certificates.
Produce a critical mass of leaders who will harness the rich experiences of Asia and the Pacific, and integrate innovative solutions in sustainable development and climate change into policies and national development programs.
Asia Leadership Program 2017 will invite 35 junior and mid-level officials from ADB’s developing member countries, such as directors, deputy mayors, and municipal urban development specialists. They will have expertise on environmental issues, climate change and disaster risk management, energy, transport, water, and urban areas, and must also be involved in urban planning and development projects.
Actively join discussions and share views and experiences.
On completion of the Program, participants will be able to:
- Describe key policy challenges in achieving climate resilient, sustainable and inclusive urban development.
- Discuss the concept of ‘livable cities, green cities, smart cities, etc.’ through a set of indexes that are based on multi-sector/thematic measures.
- Identify and apply tools useful in achieving leadership competencies needed for reforms.
- Learn about the latest technologies and innovations that contribute to energy efficiency, water resources management, efficient public transportation, urban housing, etc.
- Identify appropriate financing mechanisms and opportunities for networking.
- List action items to capture what has been learned and how these will be applied in their work environments.
How to register
By invitation only.
The Ministry of Environment, Japan and Institute for Global Environmental Strategy (IGES)
Time of event
09:00 - 18:00Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.