Webinar on Creative Economy for Sustainable Development: Potential, Challenges, and Ways Forward
20 April 2021
Time of event
15:00–16:40 Tokyo time / 13:00–14:40 Jakarta time
The Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) is resulting in a shift from an industrial to a knowledge economy in which creativity and innovation are increasingly critical for sustained growth. Both commercial and cultural in nature, creative industries are becoming a driver of entrepreneurship and economic opportunities through trade and intellectual property rights. The creative economy can also empower local communities and foster ownership, supported by a dynamic value chain composed of small and independent enterprises, non-profits, and professionals.
Globally, export growth of creative goods has increased by 7% over the last 13 years and the value of creative services has also steadily risen as businesses digitalize their operations. Yet, while data indicates that creative startups are booming in developing markets in Asia and the Pacific, such as those in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) region, the creative sector’s development in these areas is still comparatively slower than in other parts of the world.
Co-organized by ADBI and the ASEAN Secretariat, this webinar explored creative industries in developing Asia and the Pacific, their sustainable development potential, and the challenges they face during the COVID-19 pandemic, drawing upon lessons and experiences from ASEAN countries. It also identified ways to boost the growth of creative industries.
The webinar featured case studies from Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand, best practices, and recommendations for mitigating COVID-19 challenges and enhancing the resilience of the creative economy across Asia and the Pacific moving forward.
- Examine the growth and sustainable development potential of creative industries in developing Asia and the Pacific
- Spotlight creative sector case studies from ASEAN countries, providing lessons and experiences to help guide policy approaches in other developing Asian and Pacific economies
- Discuss ways to promote the resilient growth of creative industries across the region
- Government officials, creative entrepreneurs, and experts from think tanks, academia, and international organizations
- Knowledge and experience-sharing pertaining to the growth of creative industries in developing countries
- Enhanced dialogue and policy collaboration among policy makers, creative entrepreneurs, and other experts
- Possible development of short discussion papers based on webinar outcomes
- Blog post on creative industries for ADBI’s Asia Pathways and ASEAN Magazine
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations Secretariat