This first-of-its kind inaugural South Pacific International Arbitration Conference hosted by the Government of Fiji, in conjunction with ADB and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Regional Centre for Asia and the Pacific, will discuss the positive development impact of international arbitration reform in the South Pacific. The conference will also provide in-depth coverage of the practical aspects of different type of disputes in the region and globally and there will be specialized interactive sessions tailored for different stakeholders. The conference will culminate in a mock international arbitration designed to walk participants through the process of a typical international arbitration. Topics include:
- Promotion of cross-border trade and foreign direct investment through international arbitration reform;
- Why an effective dispute resolution system is important to your country’s investment climate and economic development;
- Disputes in the South Pacific region, with a focus on energy (including renewable energy), construction and climate finance and how best to resolve a dispute when contracting with a foreign party;
- Overview of international arbitration, including the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (New York, 1958) (New York Convention), UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration and its implementation in the South Pacific region;
- Contract drafting in supply-chain contracts for MSMEs in accordance with the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG); and
- Role of UNCITRAL texts on e-commerce for the implementation of free-trade agreements and trade facilitation measures
Government officials, policy makers, development partners, judges, law practitioners, private sector, and others who contract with foreign parties.
How to register
By invitation. The number of participants is limited and final allocation will be at the discretion of the organizers. Registration is now closed due to high demand.
Flight, hotel, and other miscellaneous expenses of selected participants will be funded by ADB or UNCITRAL.Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.