Empowering SMEs through Improved Financial Access: The Role of SME Data, Credit Rating, and Start-up Finance
14 - 15 March 2017
After the global financial crisis, many Asian economies struggled to promote sustainable growth due to the decline in their export revenues. One solution to overcome this problem is to promote the empowerment of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), including micro enterprises, as an engine of growth. However, SMEs consistently face difficulties in obtaining access to credit, both from traditional bank-lending channels and capital markets. Limited access to traditional bank-lending channels is mainly due to information asymmetries, whereas limited access to capital markets is mainly due to the size of their business.
Development of comprehensive and integrated SME credit databases and credit scoring methodologies could enable financial institutions to reliably score credit risk, thereby reducing information asymmetry. Crowdfunding and hometown investment trust funds provide better access to finance for SMEs in lieu of traditional capital markets.
- To build the capacity of officials for designing a good SME database and credit information system, understanding SME data analysis and credit scoring models, and exploring alternative options and tools to increase capital and start-up finance for SMEs.
- To improve understanding of SME finance in developing Asia by promoting financial access to SMEs and start-up businesses.
About 16 mid-level government officials from the central banks, and ministries of finance, industry, economic planning, and development, of 8 ASEAN countries: Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, and Viet Nam, as well as experts from international financial institutions, academia, and the private sector.
Actively join discussions and share views and experiences.
- Better knowledge and enhanced capacity of Asian countries for empowering SMEs and micro enterprises using SME data, credit rating, and start-up finance;
- Enhanced dialogue among government officials and experts on the role SME data, credit rating, and start-up finance to empower SMEs; and
- Presentation materials and country papers for upload to the ADBI website.
How to register
By invitation only.
Time of event
09:00 – 18:00