Virtual Conference on Fintech to Enable Development, Investment, Financial Inclusion, and Sustainability
22 - 24 September 2020
Time of event
14:00–16:30 (until 15:45 on 9/24) Singapore time
15:00–17:30 (until 16:45 on 9/24) Tokyo time
Credit constraints and a lack of access to finance remain critical challenges for many developing economies in Asia and the Pacific. Some estimates suggest that over one billion adults still have no access to financial services in the region. Furthermore, despite vast savings overall, Asia and the Pacific is expected to face multi-trillion dollar investment gaps annually over the long-term.
New financial technologies, or fintech, could help to mobilize finance for efficient and inclusive intermediation and sustainable development. While technological advances offer vast opportunities in these respects, they also pose risks to financial stability, cyber security, and data protection.
This ADBI-Asian Development Bank- Asian Bureau of Finance and Economic Research virtual conference featured research papers that examine how fintech and financial development can be leveraged to promote financial inclusion and sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific. It drew upon case studies from the region to highlight effective policy strategies within the sector.
- Explore ways to maximize fintech’s potential to boost investment, financial inclusion, and sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific
- Identify evidence-based policies that could address associated risks
- Policy makers and researchers from think tanks and academia
- Identification of effective policies for enhancing investment, financial inclusion, and sustainable development via fintech
- Networking and dialogue between researchers
- Papers featured during the virtual conference will be considered for publication as ADBI working papers and possible inclusion in a special issue of Journal of Banking and Finance
- National University of Singapore Business School
- Institute of Global Finance, University of New South Wales
- Asian Bureau of Finance and Economic Research
- Asian Development Bank