The 8th Semi-Annual Meeting of the Working Group on Environment will review and discuss the current status of the Core Environment Program implementation, the issues and challenges faced in 2013, and consider directions and approaches to address them.
The meeting will also discuss the regional investment framework environment pipeline for endorsement by the 19th Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Ministerial Conference in December 2013. The regional investment framework environment pipeline was developed to operationalize the new GMS Strategic Framework 2012-2022, which recognizes the role of economic corridor development as a key platform for delivering multisector initiatives, focused on widening and deepening the corridors through stronger cross-sectoral linkages, better consideration of spatial aspects of development, greater local stakeholder involvement, and more effective monitoring and evaluation.
The regional investment framework environment pipeline aims to focus on 3 strategic outcomes through its portfolio of investment and technical assistance projects: (i) deliver on environmental sustainability of the new SF; (ii) manage the environmental risks and enhance environmental resilience of the Regional Investment Framework investment pipeline and, thereby, the GMS economic corridors; and (iii) improve inclusiveness and equitable benefit sharing.
A technical working session will precede the Working Group on Environment meeting on 29 October 2013, to provide opportunity to share knowledge and exchange views in a more informal setting on topics promoting the four key components of the Core Environment Program and building capacity of the national support units.
- To review the current status of the Core Environment Program implementation and endorse the program work plan for 2014;
- To finalize the regional investment framework environment pipeline;
- To discuss the preliminary concept and preparatory work for the 4th GMS Environment Ministers' Meeting.
- Identification of directions and approaches for addressing issues and challenges faced in the current year and how these can be used to make implementation of Core Environment Program Phase II easier.
- Agreement on a reasonably proactive and well-directed Work Plan for 2014.
- Submission of a regional investment framework environment pipeline that clearly reflects the environmental sustainability target of the new GMS Strategic Framework 2012-2022.
- Refining of institutional arrangements for effective delivery of program initiatives/activities.
- Senior officials from the GMS environment ministries
- National secretariats of the GMS program
- Local government representatives
- Core Environment Program donor partners