Time of event
Innovative Sustainable Cooling Solutions for Asia and the Pacific
15:00–16:30 Tokyo time
14 June 2021
Energy Efficiency Strategy
18 June 2021
11:30–13:00 Tokyo time
ADBI, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Sustainable Development for All, and the United Kingdom Department for Business, Energy, & Industry Strategy co-hosted virtual deep dive workshops examining innovative sustainable cooling solutions for Asia and the Pacific and energy efficiency strategy, held during the 16th ADB Asia Clean Energy Forum.
Deep Dive Workshop on Innovative Sustainable Cooling Solutions for Asia and the Pacific
The current shortage of affordable and sustainable cooling solutions undermines their capacity to reduce exposure to dangerously high temperatures and support cold chains used for storing and transporting perishable goods such as food and medicine. Addressing these gaps and ensuring cooling access to those who need it will be critical to alleviating poverty, mitigating the impacts of climate change, and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
This workshop explored trends and innovative business models that utilize new technology commercialization approaches to increase the viability, uptake, and replication of sustainable cooling solutions in Asia and the Pacific. It also showcased the experiences of national governments, development banks, and practitioners in implementing sustainable cooling initiatives and promoting regional cooperation within the sector.
Deep Dive Workshop on Energy Efficiency Strategy
Efficiency improvements could significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve energy security, and support sustainable growth in Asia and the Pacific. Yet the rate of improvement in energy intensity globally has declined three years in a row and is off the pace needed to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 7 on affordable and clean energy.
This workshop examined energy efficiency strategy for advancing sustainable development, with a focus on regional case studies that highlight the growth keys of energy efficient buildings, industry, and transportation. It also discussed initiatives for attracting private investment in energy efficiency development and achieving national energy efficiency targets.
- Discuss cooling solution trends and emerging technologies for strengthening industry sustainability in Asia and the Pacific
- Highlight the importance of energy efficiency for the sustainable development of the region
- Showcase successful energy efficiency initiatives adopted by Three Percent Club countries and partners
- Detail viable policies for enhancing energy efficiency in Asia and the Pacific
- Policy makers from Asian Development Bank member economies
- Experts from think tanks, universities, and international organizations
- Deepened understanding of innovative and sustainable cooling solutions and energy efficiency strategy
- Greater impetus for dialogue, research, and regional cooperation toward effective cooling and energy efficiency in the region
- Asian Development Bank
- Sustainable Energy for All
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, United Kingdom