Preliminary Information Sessions: ADB’s Safeguard Policy Review
12 April - 18 May 2021
Online via Zoom, to be amplified through Safeguard Policy Review Facebook page
- 12 April 2021 – 12:00 p.m., Manila time (GMT+8) / 9:30 a.m., India (GMT+5.5)
- 13 April 2021 – 10:00 p.m., Manila time (GMT+8) / 10:00 a.m., ET (GMT-4) / 2:00 p.m., BST (GMT+1)
- 18 May 2021 – 5:00 p.m., Manila time (GMT +8) / 5:00 p.m., (PST) / 1:00 p.m., (GET) / 2:30 p.m., (IST)
19 May 2021 – 11:00 a.m., Manila time (GMT +8) / 11:00 a.m., (PST) / 1:00 p.m., (PGT) / 10:00 a.m., (ICT)
ADB is conducting a comprehensive review and update of its Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) approved in 2009, as part of its commitment to continue supporting the inclusive and sustainable development of Asia and the Pacific. The update seeks to modernize the policy, considering the changing development context and evolving developing member country (DMC) and client needs and capacities; as well as opportunities for greater harmonization with the policy principles and standards of other multilateral financial institutions (MFI). The update will consider the diversity of ADB lending modalities and operations, including the private sector, as well as requirements for different contexts such as fragile and conflict affected situations (FCAS), small island developing states (SIDS), emergency assistance, cross cutting and thematic issues as well as emerging topics. Overall, the policy update will seek to strengthen safeguard implementation effectiveness and efficiency, in ways that will enhance beneficial safeguards outcomes for the environment and affected people.
This update process is underpinned by a robust stakeholder engagement plan prepared after an iterative process with government partners, private sector clients and civil society organizations. Before embarking on this very important process of engaging with a diverse group of stakeholders, ADB is organizing a series of preliminary information sessions to disseminate and solicit feedback on ADB’s approach to the safeguard policy review and the stakeholder engagement plan (SEP). The SEP is guided by the principles of meaningful stakeholder engagement and presents ADB stakeholder mapping and analysis; the consultation plan; and the communication plan, which are collectively designed to foster inclusive, transparent, and informed engagement throughout the SPS review and update process.
ADB will lead preliminary information sessions in April and May 2021. Webinars will target CSO stakeholders in Asia and the Pacific, CSO stakeholders in North America and Europe, government stakeholders, and representatives of other development finance institutions. The webinars will follow the same agenda but will be tailored to each target audience.
In advance of the webinars, ADB will release a draft summary of the SEP on its website. The SEP will be presented during the session, and questions and concerns about this will be addressed during the Q&A portion of the program. Participants may send their inquiries and comments about the SEP in advance via email or live during the event.
All ADB stakeholders.
|12 April 2021||12:00 p.m. (PST), 9:30 a.m. (IST)||Civil society organizations in Asia and the Pacific region|
|13 April 2021||10:00 p.m. (PST), 10:00 a.m. (ET), 2:00 p.m. (BST)||Civil society organizations in North America and Europe|
|18 May 2021||5:00 p.m. (PST), 1:00 p.m. (GET), 2:30 p.m. (IST)||Government stakeholders from DMCs of Central and West Asia, and South Asia|
|19 May 2021||11:00 a.m. (PST), 1:00 p.m. (PGT), 10:00 a.m. (ICT)||Government stakeholders from DMCs of East Asia, Southeast Asia, and Pacific|
- Welcome participants, session overview, basic house rules.
- Opening remarks from Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC).
- Overview of SPS, the SPS review process and highlights from ADB's Independent Evaluation Department evaluation.
- Introduce the Safeguard Policy Review Team and overview of the Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP).
- Three (3) rounds of questions for discussion, grouped into major topics:
- Round 1: Stakeholder engagement (e.g., stakeholder analysis and outreach, milestones, consultation approach and timeline, consulting communities)
- Round 2: SPS implementation challenges and revised SPS Policy architecture (scope, provisions, application, implementation framework, oversight, others)
- Round 3: Communications (e.g., channels to get information, sending and responding to feedback, others)
- Next steps
- Upcoming activities
- Link to quick webinar evaluation
- Zoom poll and evaluation results before wrapping up
How to register
View on Facebook Live the ADB's Safeguard Policy Review and Update Preliminary Information Session for Governments in East and Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
View on Facebook Live the ADB's Safeguard Policy Review and Update Preliminary Information Session for Governments in Central & West Asia and South Asia.
Watch the video recording of the Preliminary Information Session for civil society organizations in:
- Asia and the Pacific on 12 Aoril 2021 using passcode U!1R1L1N
- North America and Europe on 13 April 2021 using passcode 4$wY9+a2