In response to the increasing demand for protein in Asia, ADB’s investment portfolio in livestock and feed industry is growing. At the same time, the plant-based meat and alternative protein industries are taking off globally, with especially fast growth in Asia. Hence, it is essential for policy makers, industry investors and ADB’s food security engagement to understand the quickly changing food value chain landscape in the region to gain knowledge on global best practices in supporting the protein industry to ensure environmental sustainability, nutrition, and food safety; and to understand the implications for smallholder agriculture while enhancing food supply capacity.
In consideration for ADB’s relevant investments over the next 3 years, CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) experts have developed guidance on sustainable livestock and analyzed sustainability for four cases in consultation with its working group members. The workshop will discuss the findings of the guidance and case studies on dairy in the PRC and Indonesia; feed and fodder in Uzbekistan and plant-based meat alternatives and pork in PRC.
The workshop discussion will be organized into two parts: Day 1 will focus on sustainable livestock principles and best practices, and Day 2 will discuss plant-based meat industry and its sustainability, nutrition and food safety, regulation, and potential to generate business for smallholder farmers.
- To discuss sustainable livestock principles and best practices
- To discuss plant-based meat industry and its sustainability, nutrition and food safety, regulation, and potential to generate business for smallholder farmers.
Key players from the livestock industry, and business, research, retail, and consumer groups
- Andreas Wilkes, Director, Values for Development Ltd
- Ciniro Costa Jr. CCAFS, Alliance of Bioversity and CIAT
- Dong Hongmin, Professor, Deputy Director, Institute of Environmental and Sustainable Development in Agriculture (IEDA), Chinese Academy of Agriculture Sciences (CAAS)
- Giap Minh Bui, Principal Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist, ADB
- Hans Woldring, Principal Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist
- Harsh Rajpal, Partner, Code Partners Pte. Ltd.
- Isaac Emery, Consultant and Wei Sha, Researcher, Institute of Environmental and Sustainable Development in Agriculture (IEDA), Chinese Academy of Agriculture Sciences (CAAS)
- Kate Jarvis, ADB
- Lini Wollenberg, CCAFS and University of Vermont
- Marion DeVries, Researcher in animal production systems, Wageningen University & Research
- Martin Lemoine, Head, Agribusiness Investment Team, ADB
- Michiko Katagami, Principal Natural Resources and Agriculture Economist, ADB
- Miroslav Batka, IIASA
- Peter Havlik, IIASA
- Rein van der Hoek, Senior Scientist - Senior Scientist, Forage Based Livestock Systems, Alliance of Bioversity and CIAT
- Sophie Donges, Investment Specialist, ADB
- Srinivasan Ancha, Principal Climate Change Specialist, ADB
- Varun Deshpande, Managing Director, GFI Asia Pacific
- William Chen, Director, Food Science and Technology Programme, Nanyang Technological University
- Xiaole Wang, Investment Specialist, ADB
How to register
Register for Day 1, 28 June 2021: Sustainable Livestock
Register for Day 2, 30 June 2021: Plant-based Meats
Attendance is free for this online event
Event organizers / partners
Asian Development Bank and CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)