Time of Event
19:00-21:00 Tokyo time
The virtual Think7 (T7) Japan 2023 Inception Conference marked the first meeting of the Group of 7’s (G7) think tank engagement group, the T7, hosted by the Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) as part of Japan’s 2023 G7 presidency.
T7 Japan lead-chair, ADBI Dean Tetsushi Sonobe, explained the T7 agenda. This includes openness to participation by experts from G7 and non-G7 countries and focus on the Global South to produce impactful research-based policy solutions for the G7 and partners under the T7 Japan theme Addressing Crises, Reigniting Sustainable Development.
The conference also introduced the co-chairs of the 4 T7 Japan task forces, who detailed their topic coverage and approach. Dean Sonobe and think tank leaders from Think20 (T20) India 2023 went on to explore T7-T20 linkages to optimize global policy innovation.
The discussion was followed by an audience question and answer session.
Simultaneous Japanese interpretation was provided.
- Outline T7 Japan’s structure and roadmap for promoting research-based policy solutions to unfolding global challenges during Japan’s 2023 G7 presidency and beyond
- Explain how T7 participation by experts from G7 countries and non-G7 countries, attention to developing country issues, and coordination with T20 can strengthen T7 and its impacts
- Advance the policy research process administered by the T7 Japan Secretariat and task forces
Policy makers, experts from think tanks, universities, and international organizations, media, and other interested members of the public
- Greater understanding of T7, its relevance to the G7 and partners, and agenda during Japan’s 2023 G7 presidency
- Enhanced support for T7 development
- Improved T7-T20 collaboration
- Identification of experts interested in participating in the T7 process