The specific purpose of this structured training program are to:
- review the relevance of the transportation sector in the new development agenda and climate agreements;
- examine the current status, future projections, recent innovations, and technological advancement, as well as the available policy tools that are relevant in climate change mitigation; and
- exchange views on policy strategies and experiences in developing a sustainable economy in the region.
2015 marked a turning point in shaping the global sustainable development and international climate change regime. The new development agenda, Transforming our World: The 2030 Agenda for Global Action, included a set of sustainable development goals, which were adopted at the UN Summit in September. Following this important agreement, the Paris Accord on climate change was just adopted at COP 21 involving some 200 countries. The transportation sector is expected to account for a large share of the carbon budget in rapidly growing parts of the world, namely Asia. Given that the new agreements are adopted as mentioned above, reviewing the transportation sector in tackling climate mitigation has never been more relevant for policy implications. Moreover, there is potential for promoting international cooperation in the region to mitigate environmental impacts, such as by being proactive in the introduction of renewable energy.
The primary objective of this workshop is to help policy makers in the fields of transportation and environment share knowledge about the relevant role of the transportation sector and to come up with an effective environmental policy to achieve the new development agenda as well as meet the targets postulated in the new climate agreement.
40 government officials from ADB developing member countries.
Participate in discussions and organize an internal policy seminar after the event.
- Endow participating government officials with a fundamental understanding of the role of the transportation sector and an effective environmental policy to achieve the new development agenda and climate change mitigation targets
- Provide the opportunity to share knowledge on available policy options in designing a more sustainable economic structure
- Networking and sharing of common ideas as a basis for discussion among policy makers who are expected to be involved in sustainable development and climate change policy implementation in Asia
How to register
Government officials can register via the ADB resident mission in their country.
Ministry of Strategy and Finance—the Republic of Korea, Korea Environment Institute, and The Korea Transportation Institute
Time of event
09:30 - 18:00Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.