How does sustainable transport contribute towards making a city livable? Cities that rank high on various worldwide Indexes mostly have holistic and inclusive user-friendly transport systems that provide wide coverage at affordable levels. Developed Asia has clear leaders in higher quality urban transport in denser cities – Hong Kong, China; Seoul; and Singapore – but conditions are also not always transferable. It is not financing capacity or resources alone that make the difference. A user-friendly focus, considering transport as a service, and ensuring inclusive, affordable solutions all contribute to citizens having a positive view of urban transport.
In developing countries of Asia and the Pacific, cities have very different levels of development and often lack core infrastructure and systems for efficient mobility or lack access, connectivity and inclusivity. The perspectives of right solutions vary between countries, but still there is a heavy bias towards simpler “engineered” solutions being developed.
This forum will show the innovative and practical solutions being developed and implemented in various Asian cities and multiple support mechanisms available from financiers that indicate the future is moving in the right direction, towards sustainable transport systems that enable livable cities.
Please see the detailed forum program, which covers the full week of events.
The Urban Transport for Livable Cities Forum will examine actual experience of Asian cities in developing and implementing urban transport solutions in recent years, and will demonstrate solutions to these crucial questions by focusing on each of the key questions:
- How can effective urban transport systems be planned?
- What are the modal choices for integrated holistic solutions to ensure urban transport remain inclusive and affordable to all?
- How will future technologies impact current and future demand, and the best means to adapt?
- How can we overcome regulatory and institutional constraints to build capacity to effectively manage the whole urban transport network?
- Which are the most effective public private financing mechanisms?
- Key decision makers of governmental urban transport organizations
- Infrastructure / asset managers of urban transport systems
- Urban transport sector specialists, focused on technical or policy issues
- Policy makers, regulators, and managers from the public and private sectors
- Representatives and experts in urban transport related technologies
- Development and knowledge partners working on urban transport issues
How to register
Registration has closed for this event.
While attendance to the event is free, ADB does not cover travel and accommodation expenses of participants.