17 November to 02 December 2020
Substantial progress has been achieved toward addressing the lack of proper sanitation in developing Asia and the Pacific, though it remains a persistent challenge in many places. While there are many feasible solutions from an engineering standpoint, it is often unclear which of these local policy makers should adopt. Notably, city-wide inclusive sanitation (CWIS) is gaining traction as an integrated approach that can help to achieve the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
This two-week ADBI-Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation-Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology online course on CWIS is tailored for sanitation professionals in developing countries in Asia and the Pacific. The course consists of interactive online sessions, group work, and homework, organized in three modular blocks.
Module One: Introduction to CWIS
This module will discuss the rise of CWIS, its core elements, and potential to boost sustainable urban sanitation service delivery.
Module Two: Urban Diagnostics
This module will examine diagnostic tools for collecting data to support sustainable urban sanitation services design and development.
Module Three: Successful Bidding
Participants will work in teams to produce a comprehensive bidding document integrating CWIS elements. A jury composed of experienced sanitation professionals will evaluate the bids and choose the winning team.
- Build understanding of emerging urban sanitation trends and adaptation capacity within the sector
- Examine ways to plan, design, and manage the implementation of CWIS services
- Share CWIS project lessons and best practices
- Urban sanitation practitioners from Asian Development Bank (ADB) developing member countries (DMCs) involved in CWIS and who meet pre-established selection criteria
- Experts assisting in projects supported by development partners such ADB, the Japan International Cooperation Agency, and World Bank
- Enhanced CWIS development capacity in ADB DMCs
- Greater impetus for CWIS information exchange and collaboration
- CWIS implementation proposals
How to register
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, Water, Sanitation and Solid Waste for Development Department