ADB and the International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM) have been helping the Governments of Bangladesh, Indonesia, and the Philippines, and the Mekong River Commission Secretariat to develop their capacities and strategies for flood risk management through a regional capacity development technical assistance project on "Supporting Investments in Water-Related Disaster Management." ICHARM is the Asia-Pacific Water Forum's regional water knowledge hub for disaster risk reduction and flood management.
The project's main outputs are:
- creation of a national road map on flood early warning system in Bangladesh through stakeholder consultations,
- application of satellite-based flood forecasting system and community-based flood management approaches to the Solo River basin in Indonesia,
- capacity development for effective flood risk management in the Pampanga and Cagayan River basins in Philippines,
- development of flood vulnerability indices in Cambodia flood plain, and
- development of water-related disaster risk indices.
The workshop aims to:
- share outcomes and lessons learned from the project,
- present leading trends and activities on water-related disaster management, and
- discuss critical issues as a way forward in water-related disaster risk management.
- Shared leading trends and activities on water-related disaster management
- Shared knowledge/experience on water-related disaster management in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Philippines, and the Lower Mekong River Basin
- Scoped future investments in water-related disaster management in Asia and the Pacific.
Expected participants are representatives from target countries/organization (i.e., Bangladesh, Indonesia, the Philippines, and the Mekong River Commission Secretariat) and Cambodia, Lao PDR, Nepal, Tajikistan, and Thailand, resource persons from UNISDR and ADPC, and ADB staff involved in water-related disaster risk management.Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.