- Connecting Central Asian Countries for Shared and Sustainable Development
- CAREC Program has mobilized more than $30 billion of investments since it was set up in 2001
- CAREC 2030 aims to create an open and inclusive platform that connects people, policies and projects for shared and sustainable development
The Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation, or CAREC, Program is a partnership of 11 countries working to identify, finance, and build high quality infrastructure in the region.
Building on the solid foundation of progress made since its launch in 2001, CAREC has recently approved its new long-term strategic framework leading to 2030.
Aligned with national strategies and with the global development agenda, CAREC 2030 is inspired by a mission to create an open and inclusive platform that connects people, policies and projects for shared and sustainable development.
ADB functions as the secretariat of the CAREC Program. Cumulatively, the CAREC Program has mobilized more than $30 billion of investments since it was set up in 2001. Over a third of this amount, or $10.5 billion, has been financed by ADB, and the rest by member governments and other development partners.
The CAREC partnership is strong and effective.
Since 2001, we have invested more than $30 billion in our shared future.
These strategic investments have established transport corridors; enhanced energy security; and facilitated cross-border trade.
Our partnership has deepened trust and demonstrated the value of regional cooperation.
CAREC identifies, finances, and builds high quality infrastructure in the region.
Our program has built a reputation as an honest broker that helps catalyze technically-sound development solutions based on best practice.
CAREC partners have committed to two critical global movements: the Sustainable Development Goals and the COP21 global climate agreement.
As we look to the future, CAREC 2030 is inspired by our mission to create an open and inclusive regional cooperation platform that connects people, policies, and projects for shared and sustainable development.
Aligned with member countries’ national strategies and development plans, and leveraging continuing investment in transport, energy, and trade, CAREC 2030 envisages five operational clusters:
- Economic and financial stability through policy dialogue and improved macroeconomic coordination;
- Trade, tourism and economic corridors to navigate the shifting trade landscape and position the region to engage effectively with global markets;
- Infrastructure and economic connectivity to drive business and trade in a region powered by clean, efficient energy and reliable transport;
- Agriculture and water to manage our natural resources and integrate with global agricultural value chains; and
- Human development to ensure our people are healthy and have the education and skills they will need to build our common prosperity.
Confident in our past achievements and motivated by the opportunities ahead, the CAREC Program is poised for expansion, to build on the gains we have made so far.
CAREC 2030: Connecting the Region for Shared and Sustainable Development.