10 January 2023 Hybrid
During the lockdowns and movement restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Cambodia: Climate Resilient Rice Commercialization Sector Development Program (Rice SDP) explored ways to remotely monitor project implementation with the support of the Global Agriculture and Food Security Program (GAFSP) funding. To estimate the productivity improvement of project beneficiaries for each crop season, data scientists and artificial intelligence (AI) experts have drawn plot boundaries, estimated crop yields at the individual plot levels, and mapped the distribution of estimated yields within nine irrigation schemes based on a crop survey, satellite data, and geotagging of surveyed individual plots.
The estimation results were discussed at the virtual workshop and field consultations in 2020-2021 with women farmers groups and found to be useful. Although the precision in estimating yields need improvements for project monitoring and evaluation purpose, the use of remote sensing technologies and AI has shed light on crop yield gaps among 16,000 beneficiaries in the entire project command area, particularly for female-headed households. This innovative approach is a useful tool for facilitating effective stakeholder discussions, targeting, and planning for project activities.
This training is organized for experts in government offices to understand
- the methodologies of crop yield estimation at individual plot level;
- data collection, processing, analysis, and results;
- practical steps in using GIS and AI to create web maps based on the Rice SDP project work; and
- potential data analysis and AI applications for development projects in Cambodia.
At the end of the training, the participants and trainers will also discuss the benefits and areas of improvements for crop yield estimations, and potential applications of data analysis and AI for development projects in Cambodia.
The training will invite (by invitation only) experts in government offices specifically from:
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishery;
- Ministry of Planning; and
- Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning, and Construction
- Chanthou Hem, Senior Project Officer, Cambodia Resident Mission, ADB
- Joshua Cortez, Geospatial Machine Learning Consultant, Thinking Machine Data
- Leah Goeke, QED ai
- Mateusz Urbańczyk, QED ai
- Michiko Katagami, Principal Natural Resources and Agriculture Specialist, ADB
- Ren Avell Flores, Geospatial Intelligence Analyst, Thinking Machine Data
How to register
Register in advance for this webinar.
Meeting ID: 967 5875 5739
Attendance is free for this online event.
Event organizers / partners
Rural Development and Food Security (Agriculture) Thematic Group (SDTC-AR), Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department, ADB