- Growth forecasts for developing Asia are slightly revised: down to 7.1% in 2021 from 7.3% in April ADO, and up to 5.4% in 2022 from 5.3%.
- COVID-19 continues to besiege developing Asia, but vaccines are changing the nature of the pandemic. Uneven vaccination coverage is furthering regional divergence.
- Inflation is projected at 2.2% in 2021 and 2.7% in 2022.
- A resurgence in the COVID-19 pandemic—possibly due to new virus variants, waning effectiveness of vaccines or slow progress on vaccination—remains the main risk.
- The theme chapter discusses the challenges to Asian agriculture from three ongoing trends: changing demand, changing demographics, and a changing and fragile environment.