Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
The PRC is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and Greater Mekong Subregion.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Hebei Elderly Care Development Project
- Guangxi Modern Technical and Vocational Education and Training Development Program
- Shandong Spring City Green Modern Trolley Bus Demonstration
- Heilongjiang Jiamusi Irrigation and Drainage System Modernization
- Xinjiang Changji Integrated Urban-Rural Infrastructure Demonstration Project
- Inclusive and Sustainable Livestock Farming Project
- Guangxi Regional Cooperation and Integration Promotion Investment Program - Tranche 1
- Public–Private Partnerships Demonstration Program to Transform Delivery of Elderly Care Services in Yichang, Hubei
- Air Quality Improvement in the Greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei Region—China National Investment and Guaranty Corporation’s Green Financing Platform Project
- Jiangxi Xinyu Kongmu River Watershed Flood Control and Environmental Improvement Project
Average annual population growth rate in the People's Republic of China (2010-2015)
Population in the People's Republic of China, in millions (2015)
Maternal Mortality Ratio in the People's Republic of China, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in the People's Republic of China (2012)