1. The Rehabilitation works comprises 201 km of main canal and 2264 km of distribution system. A length of 201 kilometers of main canal have been completed under three contracts; ICB-01,-02,-03 and 1068 km has been completed of Distributary and minor canal, while 1196 km is in Progress.
Out of 3,500, work has been completed on 214 structures of Main Canal and 749 structures on Distribution System, while work on 1,295 structures of Distribution System under Contracts ICB-04, ICB-05, ICB-06A & ICB-06B is on-going. The final structures upon completion will be 2,258 (revised from 3,500 as a result of condition survey).
EA is requesting for extension of completion date till 30 June 2017, in order to avail another canal closure and to complete remaining work under the project.
Due to cost overrun, additional financing is approved in December 2015.
2. Output achieved. Groundwater data base and model have been developed and handed over to PID, staff has been trained, and database and model are being used by PID.
Development and validation of Groundwater Model was completed and model was transferred to Punjab Irrigation Department on 7 March 2013.
3. Output achieved; 53 Demonstration plots have been established, each plot is 40 ha.
Field programs such as: Laser land leveling, Raised bed plantation, Soil nutrient profile determination, and Conjunctive use of groundwater and its treatment techniques have been completed on 30 Sep 2013.
PIDA issued notification to dissolve all FOs and KPs from 31 March 2015 however most of FOs got stay orders from courts and are working in their previous positions prior to the expiry of their tenure 31 March 2015.
4. Output achieved. One AWB, 53 FOs and 3,779 KPs have been established. FOs are operational and performing their functions. One pilot demonstration plot has been established in each FO.
5. Tranche 2: New Khanki Barrage Project ($270 million) approved in Dec 2011, signed in Jan 2012 and effective in Feb 2012.
Tranche 3: Suleimanki Barrage and Pakpattan Canal Improvement Project ($73 million) approved on 13 December 2012. Signed on 30 April 2013 and became effective on 6 June 2013
Trimmu and Punjnad Barrages ($150 million) (standalone loan) approved on 22 September 2014. Signed on 5 December 2014 and declared effective on 21 Jan 2015
Pakpattan distribution system ($120 million) and Thal canal ($250 million). Pakpattan Canal: Feasibility study and detailed design completed. PC-1 prepared. Climate change assessment study to be carried out as it became requirements now. Project is ready.
Thal Canal: Feasibility study is complete. Detailed design completed. PC-1 is under preparation. Climate change assessment study to be carried out as it became requirements now. Project is ready.
Cholistan Water Resources Development Project Feasibility study is in progress
Link Canals Remodeling Feasibility study is substantially completed.
The assessment will be undertaken after completion of Project.
6. Contractor's performance remains poor; the completion period has elapsed with only 85% progress achieved. During ADB's Mission in May 2016, the Contractor has ensured (i) operationalization of barrage complex including new spillway for upgraded flood capacity before 30 June 2016; and (ii) full completion by loan closing on 30 September 2016. As of 15 September 2016, barrage works have substantially completed while spillway, electro-mechanical and small ancillary works are ongoing.