||Urban Infrastructure Development
|Project Type / Modality of Assistance
|Source of Funding / Amount
|Loan 2258-BHU: Urban Infrastructure Development|
|Concessional ordinary capital resources / Asian Development Fund
|TA 4844-BHU: Capacity Building for Urban Municipal Planning & Governance|
|Technical Assistance Special Fund
||Environmentally sustainable growth
|Drivers of Change
||Governance and capacity development
|Sector / Subsector
- Urban roads and traffic management
Water and other urban infrastructure and services
- Other urban services
- Urban policy, institutional and capacity development
- Urban sanitation
- Urban sewerage
- Urban solid waste management
- Urban water supply
|Gender Equity and Mainstreaming
|| No gender elements
||The objective of the project is to improve urban infrastructure and urban services management in the two cities Thimphu and Phuentsholing and Dagana Town, which will contribute to increasing the growth potential in these areas. The objective will be achieved by (i) improving urban infrastructure planning; (ii) constructing urban roads, drainage and other public infrastructure; (iii) increasing water treatment, supply, and sanitation coverage; (iv) enhancing community awareness on proper hygiene; and (v) providing capacity building trainings in urban facility management to staff of project cities and towns, and the Executing Agency (EA), Department of Urban Development and Engineering Services (DUDES) at Ministry of Works and Human Settlement (MoWHS)
|Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy
||The two largest cities in Bhutan, Thimphu ahd Phuentsholing are facing the full force of urban migration and urban sprawls generated from limited job opportunities in the rural areas. The task of absorbing 70,000 people expected to enter the labor market is quite challenging. The unemployment rate in the country is still 2 to 3%, but in urban areas, the rate is 4.1%; among those aged 15 to 19 years, the urban unemployment figure is as high as 10.9%. The Government is responding to the increase in urbanization by emphasizing great importance to the increase in the living standard of various parts of the country, "to ensure that the benefits of development are shared equitably between different income groups and regions and in ways that promotes social harmony, stability and unity and contribute to the development of a just and compassionate society." With this requirement in mind, the Government requested continued ADB assistance in improving the urban infrastructure and services needs in Thimphu and Phuentsholing, particularly in their respective newly expanded areas.
||Improved standard of living and sustained economic growth in Thimphu, Phuentsholing, and Dagana
|Description of Outcome
||Thimphu Municipality, Phuentsholing Municipality, and Dagana Town provide improved urban infrastructure and services to its residents
|Progress Toward Outcome
||All of the works are physically completed in 2014. Infrastructures were put up to provide access to safe water, sanitation, improved solid waste collection to the intended beneficiaries.
|Description of Project Outputs
1a. Water supply, sanitation, and solid waste management infrastructure is improved in Thimphu.
1b. Urban road and associated urban infrastructure improved in Thimphu Municipality
2. Urban roads and social infrastructure improved Phuentsholing Municipality
3a. Water supply and sanitation infrastructure is improved in Dagana Town
3b. Urban road and drainage improved in Dagana Town
4. Capacity strengthened for awareness in public hygiene and sanitation; project management and implementation is strengthened
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)
1. Thimphu: All works completed. The staff training is being conducted to operate and maintain the plant.
2. Phuentsholing: All subprojects are completed and works packages are closed in Phuentsholing. Interventions have provided improvements in urban road network, junctions, footpaths, car parking spaces and social infrastructure within the city. The Phuentsholing Municipality has outsourced the operation and maintenance of car parking services to third party private service providers. The municipality has also handed over the management of the stadium and archery ground to the sports and recreation committee of Phuentsholing.
3. Dagana: The water supply civil works package is already complete. A sludge drying bed is also constructed and completed. The water tariff plan has just been recently approved by the Ministry of Finance.
4. Technical and Implementation Support: All components under the technical support outputs were successfully completed by 2012. This included the endorsement and implementation of the sanitation and hygiene strategy by Thimphu Thromde to improve awareness in public hygiene and sanitation.