|Project Name||Capacity Strengthening of the National Statistical System|
|Country||Lao People's Democratic Republic
|Project Type / Modality of Assistance||Technical Assistance
|Source of Funding / Amount||
|Strategic Agendas||Inclusive economic growth
|Drivers of Change||Governance and capacity development
|Sector / Subsector||
Public sector management - Economic affairs management - Public administration
|Gender Equity and Mainstreaming|
|Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy|
|Impact||Monitoring and evaluation of the implementation progress of the NSEDP7, 2010-2015, in selected sector are improved.|
|Description of Outcome||Capacity of staff at DOS and statistics units in key line ministries and provinces is improved.|
|Progress Toward Outcome|
|Description of Project Outputs||
1. Statistics units have greater awareness of their funtions under the new Statistics Law
2. Statistics Training program is designed and implemented
3. Capacity to process selected surveys is strengthened
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)||
1. The Inception Workshop was held on 18 January 2012; The training need assessment was conducted including training needs, the new statistical law and the competence profiles of Lao Statistics Bureau staff. the first and second quarterly report have been submitted.
2. The two trainings on Applied Statistics and two trainings on data editing and cleaning by using a real database have been conducted; 20 technical staff from Lao Statistics Bureau , Ministry of Education and Sport, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and National University of Laos as well as Vientiane Capital Statistics Unit have been trained; the next training has been scheduled for final week of September 2012; the training at Vientiane Statistics Unit facilitated by the trained staff from the basic statistics training will be conducted in November 2012.
4. The Law and its Decree was approved by the Governement in 2012. Two Desiminiation Workshop were conducted in first quarter of 2013 for high official and technical staff of the line ministries.
5. TOT exercise took place through training for the LSB staff who will be TOT. So far, there are about 15 TOT in the technical pools. Three regional training in norther, central, and southern part of Laos were conduted by TOT.
6. Draft traning and guideline manual is developed. It is under the progress of consultation, translation, and editing by National University of Laos.
7. Two Evaluation and Monitoring reports were conducted by LSB team without any cost.
8. Eight line ministries submitted proposals to LSB for conducting training on Basic Statistics.
9. Government final TCR was prepared and submitted to LRM
|Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects|
|Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation|
|During Project Design|
|During Project Implementation|
Individual consultants will be used who will be engaged by ADB in accordance with the Guidelines on the Use of Consultants.
1. Institutional and HR Strategy Consultant (2PM)
2. Statistics Training Implementation Consultant (8PM)
3. Survery Data Processing Consultant (2PM)
1. Statistics Consultant (12PM)
|Responsible ADB Officer||Louangraj, Phantouleth|
|Responsible ADB Department||Southeast Asia Department|
|Responsible ADB Division||Lao Resident Mission|
Department of Statistic (DoS)
Dr Samaychanh Boupha
Ministry of Planning and Investment Luang Prabang Rd. Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
|Concept Clearance||17 Nov 2010|
|Fact Finding||16 Nov 2010 to 17 Nov 2010|
|Approval||14 Dec 2010|
|Last Review Mission||-|
|PDS Creation Date||26 Nov 2010|
|Last PDS Update||16 Dec 2014|
|Approval||Signing Date||Effectivity Date||Closing|
|14 Dec 2010||11 Feb 2011||11 Feb 2011||30 Jun 2013||30 Jun 2014||-|
|Financing Plan/TA Utilization||Cumulative Disbursements|
|690,000.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||690,000.00||14 Dec 2010||674,815.42|
Project Data Sheets (PDS) contain summary information on the project or program. Because the PDS is a work in progress, some information may not be included in its initial version but will be added as it becomes available. Information about proposed projects is tentative and indicative.
The Public Communications Policy (PCP) recognizes that transparency and accountability are essential to development effectiveness. It establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced.
The Accountability Mechanism provides a forum where people adversely affected by ADB-assisted projects can voice and seek solutions to their problems and report alleged noncompliance of ADB's operational policies and procedures.
In preparing any country program or strategy, financing any project, or by making any designation of, or reference to, a particular territory or geographic area in this document, the Asian Development Bank does not intend to make any judgments as to the legal or other status of any territory or area.
|Title||Document Type||Document Date|
|Capacity Strengthening of the National Statistical System: Technical Assistance Completion Report||TA Completion Reports||Jun 2015|
|Capacity Strengthening of the National Statistical System||Technical Assistance Reports||Dec 2010|
Safeguard Documents See also: Safeguards
Safeguard documents provided at the time of project/facility approval may also be found in the list of linked documents provided with the Report and Recommendation of the President.
None currently available.
Evaluation Documents See also: Independent Evaluation
None currently available.
None currently available.
The Public Communications Policy (PCP) establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced in its operations to facilitate stakeholder participation in ADB's decision-making. For more information, refer to the Safeguard Policy Statement, Operations Manual F1, and Operations Manual L3.
Requests for information may also be directed to the InfoUnit.