|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)
The following outputs and activities were achieved, contributing to project outomce:
1. The ADB-PRC Forum on Challenges and Opportunities of Middle Income Transition was conducted on 22 March 2011 in Beijing with the PRC Minister of Finance and ADB President opening the Forum. The Forum was also an occasion to celebrate the 25 years of ADB-PRC partnership. A publication on the impact stories showcasing ADB assistance to PRC was launched at the Forum.
2. Eight eminent experts, led by Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel Awardee in Economics, presented papers with various themes and viewpoints on policy options for PRC on its journey from middle income to high income. Other distinguished experts include Masahiko Aoki, Professor Emeritus at Stanford Univesity; Dwight Perkins, Professor, Harvard University; Nicholas Lardy, Senior Fellow at Peterson Institute for International Economics; Wing Thye Woo, Professor, University of California at Davis; Yiping Huang, Professor, Peking University; Hu Angang, Professor, Tsinghua University; and Alicia Garcia-Herrero, Chief Economist for Emerging Markets at Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Angentaria.
3. Almost 200 participants attended the Forum. High level officials from the PRC Government (Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Education, People's Bank of China, State Council Leading Group Office of Poverty Alleviation and Development, National Development and Reform Commission, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Ministry of Commerce, Finance Bureaus of Beijing, Gansu, Ningxia, Hubei, and Henan, Asia-Pacific Finance and Development Center, and China Center for International Economic Exchanges); development partners (World Bank, United Nations Development Program, International Labor Organization, Japan Bank for International Cooperation, German International Cooperation, Embassies of the USA, Spain, Norway, and Belgium, and International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development); the private sector (China Eximbank, Bank of China, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bundesbank, Goldman Sachs, China International Capital Corporation Ltd, A Capital, Dragonomics, Beijing Private Equity Association, Chinalytics); academe (Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Tsinghua University, Renmin University of China, Peking University, China Social Enterpreneur Foundation, and Institute of Strategy, Party School of the Central Committee of the CPC); media and ADB staff participated in the dialogue of issues and options available for PRC.
4. ADB and the Government of Mongolia organized the ADB-MON Partnership Forum: A Roadmap for Happy, Healthy, and Harmonius Mongolia on 9-11 October 2011 in Ulaanbaatar, with the President of Mongolia, Tsakhia Elbegdorj, and ADB President Kuroda, and Mongolia Finance Minister Sangajav Bayartsogt in attendance. Nobel laureate R. K. Pachauri from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change led the discussion on policy issues affecting the development of Mongolia. Central Bank Deputy Governor of Chile, Martin Marfan; Beatriz Nofal, President, Agency for the Investment Development, Ministry of Economy and Public Finance, Argentina; Prof. Kelechi Kalu from Ohio State University; Alan Turley, FedEx Vice President, and other prominent experts joined the policy discussions.
5. About 100 participants from government (President's Office; Members of Parliament; Ministry of Finance; Ministry of Road, Transportation, Construction and Urban Development; Ministry of Health; Bank of Mongolia), private sector, academe, civil society, and development partners (embassies of USA, Germany, PRC, Republic of Korea, India, Japan, UNDP, EBRD, World Wildlife Fund) joined the Forum discussions on how Mongolia can achieve inclusive and environmentally sustainable development, with focus on macroeconomic management of its resources and addressing the key challenges of poverty and environmental management. The Forum was also an occasion to celebrate 20 years of ADB-MON partnership. A publication on the successes of the ADB-MON partnership was launched at the Forum.
6. Two publications on the impact stories of ADB projects in PRC and MON were published in time for the ADB-PRC Forum and ADB-MON Forum, respectively.
7. The International Conference on Challenges and Opportunities for Sustainable Development was held on 4-5 October 2012 in Ulaanbaatar on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the National University of Mongolia. The President of Mongolia and ADB President opened the conference. Nobel laureate R. K. Pachauri from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change led international experts from Japan, the Republic of Korea, Netherlands, USA and UNEP and 100 conference participants in the discussion of developmental issues facing MON.
8. RKSI Expert's (secondee) participation at the ADB-Ministry of Environmental Protection International Liaohe Basin Conference on 11-12 July 2013 in Shenyang, PRC.