The TA is to support the implementation of the Government's Plan issued on 18 October 2012 on reforming the public services and strengthening civil servants. Specifically, the TA is to support the development and implementation of a standardized system for job analysis, job descriptions, and qualification standards system (competencies framework) in government agencies.
|Project Name||Implementation of Civil Service Reform Plan|
|Project Type / Modality of Assistance||Technical Assistance
|Source of Funding / Amount||
|Strategic Agendas||Inclusive economic growth
|Drivers of Change||Governance and capacity development
|Sector / Subsector||
Public sector management - Public administration
|Gender Equity and Mainstreaming||Some gender elements|
|Description||The TA is to support the implementation of the Government's Plan issued on 18 October 2012 on reforming the public services and strengthening civil servants. Specifically, the TA is to support the development and implementation of a standardized system for job analysis, job descriptions, and qualification standards system (competencies framework) in government agencies.|
|Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy||
As Viet Nam is entering into the new 10 year period as a _middle income country,_ there are new set of challenges the country needs to deal with. In a dynamic and fast changing environment, enhancing Viet Nam's competitiveness is vital but also a challenge. Adaptation to a fast changing environment requires a diverse range of active Government interventions, from appropriate and enabling policy frameworks and effective regulatory mechanisms, to provision of efficient infrastructure and the effective delivery of public services.
A more efficient, effective and ethical bureaucracy is essential for the country to manage sustainable growth in the medium to long-term. As directing and leading the new development path, the whole government machinery should move from _input-based_ forward to focus on accountability and results- oriented management. The key driving for change is centered on civil service reform as the quality of the policies, the effectiveness of the enforcement all depend on the performance and accountability of the civil servants.
Institutional reform, including civil service reform is regarded as one of three breakthrough in the socio-economic development Strategy from 2011-2020. To this end, the Government issued on 18 October 2012 a Plan to step up the improving public services and strengthening civil servants in medium term from 2012 to 2015. The plan lists out key tasks to be delivered including conducting job description across sector and improving recruitment policy and practices.
|Impact||Quality of HRM in government agencies improved|
|Description of Outcome||Integrated HRM in government agencies implemented|
|Progress Toward Outcome||
The TA has supported the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) to successfully carry out the following activities:
- A framework of job identification for government agencies and provinces has been developed and used for appraising job positions proposals prepared by government agencies;
- Assisted Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to finalize their proposal on job description and job identification;
- Assisted MoHA to appraise job positions proposals submitted by ministries and provinces ( proposals of all 63 provinces have been appraised by end of 2016);
- Assisted conducting consultation workshops on developing job description and job positions and competency framework for managerial positions;
- Developed questionnaires for the survey on the current qualification standards system for managerial positions;
|Description of Project Outputs||
Standardized system for job analysis and job descriptions without gender discrimination
Competency frameworks (qualification standards) by grades and managerial positions
Guidelines on performance evaluation procedures
Dissemination of lessons learned and good practices for change management
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)||
- Job position framework (lists of job positions) for provinces and methodology, criteria and process of appraising the job position proposals developed; All job position proposals of provinces and ministries appraised;
- A set of Job descriptions developed in almost state agencies in Quang Tri province(at both provincial and district levels) ;
- A set of Job descriptions in the Institute of Remote Sensing of MONRE developed and applied;
- Draft of the practical manual on job analysis and application of job positions developed.
- Series of technical workshops across the Civil Service to facilitate a better understanding of the application of competency frameworks implemented;
- Paper and materials on the international experiences and application of competency frameworks in the management of civil servants in Vietnam developed;
- Draft of the comprehensive research report on Vietnam leadership and management competency framework developed;
- The managerial competency framework for all managerial positions in the Institute of Remote Sensing of MONRE developed.
- Series of technical workshops on result based performance management framework for the public sector in Vietnam held;
- Lessons incorporated into the modifications of the Government No 56 on performance management in public sector in Vietnam;
Output 4: Database on the outputs of the project developed.
Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects
|Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation|
|During Project Design||Given its wide impact, during the TA processing, in-dept consultations with key stakeholders were conducted, particularly with Ministry of Home Affairs, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Quang Ninh Provincial Peoples Committee and other agencies.|
|During Project Implementation||Close consultations with key stakeholders , particularly with Ministry of Home Affairs, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Quang Ninh Provincial Peoples Committee and other agencies have been conducted through discussion meeting, consultation workshops and also survey.|
A. Individual-Based Recruitment: A total of 11 person-months of services from international consultants will be recruited on an individual basis.
1. Job Design and Competency Development expert/ Co-team leader (international, 5.5 person-months, intermittent)
2. Performance Management Expert (international, 3.5 person-months, intermittent)
3. Expert on HRIS (international, 2 person-months, intermittent)
B. Firm-Based Recruitment: A consulting team of 8 national consultants (totaling 70 person-months of services) will be recruited on a firm basis using quality-based selection criteria. The team includes
1. Human resource management expert and team leader (a national, intermittent, 12.5 person-months)
2. Human resource management experts (3 consultants, national, intermittent, 10 person-months each)
3. Communication expert (a national, intermittent, 5.5 person-months)
4. Human resource management research and survey expert (a national, intermittent, 4.5 person-months)
5. Information technology expert (a national, intermittent, 3.5 person-months)
6. Translator and project facilitator (a national, intermittent, 14 person-months).
|Procurement||Selective office equipment procured by the national consulting firm.|
|Responsible ADB Officer||Dao Viet, Dung|
|Responsible ADB Department||Southeast Asia Department|
|Responsible ADB Division||Viet Nam Resident Mission|
Ministry of Home Affairs
37 Nguyen Binh Khiem Street
|Concept Clearance||03 Dec 2013|
|Fact Finding||24 Sep 2013 to 24 Sep 2013|
|Approval||23 Sep 2014|
|Last Review Mission||-|
|Last PDS Update||27 Mar 2017|
|Approval||Signing Date||Effectivity Date||Closing|
|23 Sep 2014||05 Mar 2015||05 Mar 2015||31 Aug 2016||31 Aug 2017||-|
|Financing Plan/TA Utilization||Cumulative Disbursements|
|0.00||1,000,000.00||250,000.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||1,250,000.00||23 Sep 2014||803,309.24|
Project Data Sheets (PDS) contain summary information on the project or program. Because the PDS is a work in progress, some information may not be included in its initial version but will be added as it becomes available. Information about proposed projects is tentative and indicative.
The Public Communications Policy (PCP) recognizes that transparency and accountability are essential to development effectiveness. It establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced.
The Accountability Mechanism provides a forum where people adversely affected by ADB-assisted projects can voice and seek solutions to their problems and report alleged noncompliance of ADB's operational policies and procedures.
In preparing any country program or strategy, financing any project, or by making any designation of, or reference to, a particular territory or geographic area in this document, the Asian Development Bank does not intend to make any judgments as to the legal or other status of any territory or area.
|Title||Document Type||Document Date|
|Implementation of Civil Service Reform Plan: Technical Assistance Report||Technical Assistance Reports||Sep 2014|
Safeguard Documents See also: Safeguards
Safeguard documents provided at the time of project/facility approval may also be found in the list of linked documents provided with the Report and Recommendation of the President.
None currently available.
Evaluation Documents See also: Independent Evaluation
None currently available.
None currently available.
The Public Communications Policy (PCP) establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced in its operations to facilitate stakeholder participation in ADB's decision-making. For more information, refer to the Safeguard Policy Statement, Operations Manual F1, and Operations Manual L3.
Requests for information may also be directed to the InfoUnit.
No tenders for this project were found.
No contracts awarded for this project were found
None currently available.