|Project Name||Policy and Capacity Support for Improved Aid Effectiveness|
|Country||Lao People's Democratic Republic|
|Project Type / Modality of Assistance||Technical Assistance
|Source of Funding / Amount||
|Strategic Agendas||Inclusive economic growth
|Drivers of Change||Governance and capacity development
|Sector / Subsector||
Public sector management - Public administration - Public expenditure and fiscal management
|Gender Equity and Mainstreaming|
|Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy|
|Impact||Improved alignment of ODA and government priorities and processes.|
|Description of Outcome||Country systems and mechanisms for policy dialogue strengthened to improve aid effectiveness|
|Progress Toward Outcome||The TA impact will improve alignment of official development assistance (ODA) and government priorities and processes. The TA outcome will be strengthened country system and mechanism for capacity dialogue to improve aid effectiveness.|
|Description of Project Outputs||
1. Policy dialogue on aid effectiveness improved
2. Project start-up delays reduced
3. Government capacity for management of ADB-financed project portfolio strengthened
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)||
1. The TA anticipates at least 4 macroeconomics and infrastructure sectors meetings and co-chaired by the government and ADB annually; and proceeding the agreed actions plans.
2. The TA will support the development of government Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual both English and Lao languages versions, and disseminate it to line ministries and government partners.
3. The TA anticipate to support EA/MPI to: four quarterly portfolio performance review meetings held annually and implement its agreed actions; (ii) one joint country portfolio review meeting together with government and the World Bank held annually; and (iii) portfolio performance aligned with government result frameworks.
|Geographical Location||Vientiane Capital|
Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects
|Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation|
|During Project Design||.|
|During Project Implementation||
1. The TA has supported two sector working groups (macroeconomics and infrastructure sector working groups) organized 7 working group meetings and 3 policy dialogues, and will continue to support these two sector organizing 3 meeting and 1 policy dialogue in 2017.
2. The government has approved the Lao language version of the government Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual for official development assistance - the SOP is now being translated to English language.
3. The TA supported EA to organized quarterly portfolio performance review meetings and joint country portfolio review meetings/mission together with ADB, the World Bank and the government of Lao PDR in 2014-2016, and will continue to support EA in 2017. The TA also support government with regard to capacity building - ie. capacity building to strengthen working groups secretariats, workshop to disseminate the harmonized national standard bidding documents, strengthen gender action plan monitoring.
|Consulting Services||The CDTA will provide a total of 46 person-months inputs comprising five person-months of international consultants and 41 person-months of national consultants in the area of ODA and portfolio management. All consultants will be recruited on an individual basis and engaged in accordance with ADB's Guidelines on the Use of Consultants (2013, as amend from time to time).|
|Responsible ADB Officer||Inthavong, Vanthong|
|Responsible ADB Department||Southeast Asia Department|
|Responsible ADB Division||Lao Resident Mission|
Ministry of Planning and Investment
Luangprabang Road Vientiane 01001, Lao PDR
|Concept Clearance||12 Nov 2013|
|Fact Finding||16 Jul 2013 to 03 Oct 2013|
|Approval||12 Dec 2013|
|Last Review Mission||-|
|Last PDS Update||14 Mar 2017|
|Approval||Signing Date||Effectivity Date||Closing|
|12 Dec 2013||28 Jan 2014||28 Jan 2014||31 Dec 2015||31 Dec 2017||-|
|Financing Plan/TA Utilization||Cumulative Disbursements|
|450,000.00||0.00||25,000.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||475,000.00||12 Dec 2013||280,489.46|
Project Data Sheets (PDS) contain summary information on the project or program. Because the PDS is a work in progress, some information may not be included in its initial version but will be added as it becomes available. Information about proposed projects is tentative and indicative.
The Public Communications Policy (PCP) recognizes that transparency and accountability are essential to development effectiveness. It establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced.
The Accountability Mechanism provides a forum where people adversely affected by ADB-assisted projects can voice and seek solutions to their problems and report alleged noncompliance of ADB's operational policies and procedures.
In preparing any country program or strategy, financing any project, or by making any designation of, or reference to, a particular territory or geographic area in this document, the Asian Development Bank does not intend to make any judgments as to the legal or other status of any territory or area.
|Title||Document Type||Document Date|
|Policy and Capacity Support for Improved Aid Effectiveness||Technical Assistance Reports||Dec 2013|
Safeguard Documents See also: Safeguards
Safeguard documents provided at the time of project/facility approval may also be found in the list of linked documents provided with the Report and Recommendation of the President.
None currently available.
Evaluation Documents See also: Independent Evaluation
None currently available.
None currently available.
The Public Communications Policy (PCP) establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced in its operations to facilitate stakeholder participation in ADB's decision-making. For more information, refer to the Safeguard Policy Statement, Operations Manual F1, and Operations Manual L3.
Requests for information may also be directed to the InfoUnit.