The technical assistance (TA) will support the preparation, dissemination, and timely application of analytical studies relating to the development of the logistics sector in India. The TA will allow Asian Development Bank (ADB) to swiftly and adaptably respond to India's demand for just-in-time knowledge support on the challenges and strategies faced by its logistics sector. The TA will also provide capacity building assistance to effectively implement the outputs of analytical findings.
|Project Name||Supporting Logistics Sector Development|
|Project Type / Modality of Assistance||Technical Assistance
|Source of Funding / Amount||
|Strategic Agendas||Inclusive economic growth
|Drivers of Change||Governance and capacity development
|Sector / Subsector||
Industry and trade / Industry and trade sector development
Public sector management / Public administration
Transport / Multimodal logistics
|Gender Equity and Mainstreaming||No gender elements|
|Description||The technical assistance (TA) will support the preparation, dissemination, and timely application of analytical studies relating to the development of the logistics sector in India. The TA will allow Asian Development Bank (ADB) to swiftly and adaptably respond to India's demand for just-in-time knowledge support on the challenges and strategies faced by its logistics sector. The TA will also provide capacity building assistance to effectively implement the outputs of analytical findings.|
|Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy||The logistics sector in India is currently less efficient compared to its peer countries. Two main causes include (i) lack of a comprehensive development strategy for the logistics sector with a slew of factors constraining its development, and (ii) limited capacity of government to design and implement comprehensive strategies on logistics.|
|Impact||Logistics efficiency improved|
|Description of Outcome||National integrated logistics development plan approved|
|Progress Toward Outcome||
The National Logistics Policy has been approved by Commerce and Industry Minister and has been submitted to Cabinet for final approval before it can be formally released by GoI. The following key areas have been covered:
1. Unified Policy and Regulatory Environment
2. Interconnected Infrastructure (National Master Plan, State Master Plan, Urban and Rural Logistics, National multimodal facilities, and warehousing grid)
3. Complete Digital Transformation including Simplification and streamlining of processes
4. Holistic Skilling Ecosystem to assess and meet current and future skill gaps
5. Optimal synergetic use specific to sectors
6. Better Logistics for International Trade
7. Support Resilience, sustainability and innovation in Logistics
|Description of Project Outputs||
National integrated logistics development plan prepared
Capacity building on implementation of national integrated logistics development plan provided
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)||
Project plan outlines have been prepared for different pillars of the integrated development plan and are under different stages of implementation. Key initiatives which serve as critical building blocks of the integrated logistics development plan are in implementation phase. The following projects address capacity building issues in their key areas:
1. Development and Implementation of Risk Management Systems for Partner Government Agencies (PGAs) for faster clearances for EXIM trade.
2. Self-Improvement Toolkit for Process Mapping at Ports and Airports for benchmarking port performance over time.
3. Primer on Smart Road Enforcement for helping states develop a Tech Enabled and Risk Management Based System for On-Road Compliance of Freight
4. Data Integration and Analytics Project: Technical support to the India Logistics Platform integrating all logistics related digital portals and IT solutions to provide a unified interface to all stakeholders. Support in design of National Logistics Dashboard to enable real-time monitoring of operational performance and asset utilization to optimize use, and plan for future infrastructure development
5. Recommendatory guidelines and standards for Warehousing and related Physical Assets in Logistics Sector and development of Model Concession Agreement for PPP in Multi modal Park Development
6. Approval processes applicable to warehousing and its governance structure. A primer to rationalize the approval process and make it time bound would emerge out of this activity, and might be integral to State Logistics Masterplan and discussions with states
7. National Warehousing Register: GIS based register of warehouses with key attributes to facilitate businesses find the right warehouse in the locations they are interested in. Will also add to visibility to exact capacity by type and scope of warehouses in the country
8. National Multi-modal Grid: Development of strategy for governance, government support for development, development of MMLPs, and MCA for PPPs
9. Comparative analysis of Port Worker Training in India and Korea, including gap analysis and institutional differences. Recommendations on how to address key gaps and potential cooperation between India and Korea (in partnership with MoPSW)
10. Secure Logistics Document Exchange (SLDE): A secure document exchange platform that will eliminate paper flows and facilitate trade. Would support adoption of e Bill of Lading
11. Rail Parcel Development: Strategy paper for development of e-commerce related parcel business for railways. Ministry of Railways to suggest how we can support implementation of recommendations
12. Coastal Shipping Report: Analysis of challenges and recommendations on how to increase Coastal share of freight, with specific sectoral strategies. Prepared in partnership with MoPSW)
|Geographical Location||Nation-wide, Assam, Bengaluru|
|Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects|
|Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation|
|During Project Design|
|During Project Implementation|
|Consulting Services||ADB will engage a number of individual consultants for the implementation of TA activities. ADB will engage the consultants and carry out procurement following the ADB Procurement Policy (2017, as amended from time to time) and its associated project administration instructions and/or staff instructions.|
|Responsible ADB Officer||Jeong, Hoe Yun|
|Responsible ADB Department||South Asia Department|
|Responsible ADB Division||India Resident Mission|
Asian Development Bank
6 ADB Avenue,
Mandaluyong City 1550, Philippines
|Concept Clearance||15 Mar 2018|
|Fact Finding||11 Apr 2018 to 12 Apr 2018|
|Approval||01 Aug 2018|
|Last Review Mission||-|
|Last PDS Update||21 Dec 2020|
|Approval||Signing Date||Effectivity Date||Closing|
|01 Aug 2018||24 Sep 2018||24 Sep 2018||30 Jun 2021||-||-|
|Financing Plan/TA Utilization||Cumulative Disbursements|
|4,000,000.00||1,000,000.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||5,000,000.00||01 Aug 2018||1,015,923.43|
Project Data Sheets (PDS) contain summary information on the project or program. Because the PDS is a work in progress, some information may not be included in its initial version but will be added as it becomes available. Information about proposed projects is tentative and indicative.
The Access to Information Policy (AIP) recognizes that transparency and accountability are essential to development effectiveness. It establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced.
The Accountability Mechanism provides a forum where people adversely affected by ADB-assisted projects can voice and seek solutions to their problems and report alleged noncompliance of ADB's operational policies and procedures.
In preparing any country program or strategy, financing any project, or by making any designation of, or reference to, a particular territory or geographic area in this document, the Asian Development Bank does not intend to make any judgments as to the legal or other status of any territory or area.
|Title||Document Type||Document Date|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development: Technical Assistance Report||Technical Assistance Reports||Aug 2018|
Safeguard Documents See also: Safeguards
Safeguard documents provided at the time of project/facility approval may also be found in the list of linked documents provided with the Report and Recommendation of the President.
None currently available.
Evaluation Documents See also: Independent Evaluation
None currently available.
None currently available.
The Access to Information Policy (AIP) establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced in its operations to facilitate stakeholder participation in ADB's decision-making. For more information, refer to the Safeguard Policy Statement, Operations Manual F1, and Operations Manual L3.
Requests for information may also be directed to the InfoUnit.
|Tender Title||Type||Status||Posting Date||Deadline|
|Multimodal logistics and corridor economist||Individual - Consulting||Active||12 Jun 2021||18 Jun 2021|
|Industry Engagement Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||09 Jun 2021||15 Jun 2021|
|IT Advisor for Secured Logistics Document Exchange Platform||Individual - Consulting||Closed||09 Jun 2021||15 Jun 2021|
|Rail Logistics Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||09 Jun 2021||15 Jun 2021|
|Digital Transformation and Supply Chain Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||09 Jun 2021||15 Jun 2021|
|Policy and Project Management Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||09 Jun 2021||15 Jun 2021|
|Port Logistics Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||09 Jun 2021||15 Jun 2021|
|Economic and Financial Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||08 Jun 2021||14 Jun 2021|
|IT Capacity Development Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||08 Jun 2021||14 Jun 2021|
|Techno Domain Advisor (Secured Logistics Document Exchange)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||08 Jun 2021||14 Jun 2021|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Warehouse E-Registry)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||21 Nov 2020||27 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (IT System Design Expert for Trucking Platform)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||21 Nov 2020||27 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (IT System Design Expert for Secured Logistics Document Exchange)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||21 Nov 2020||27 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Transport and Supply Chain Expert)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||19 Nov 2020||25 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Logistics Expert)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||19 Nov 2020||25 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Industry & Trade Expert)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||19 Nov 2020||25 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Rail Expert)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||19 Nov 2020||25 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Logistic Expert and Advisor)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||28 Oct 2020||03 Nov 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Economist Researcher)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||11 Aug 2020||17 Aug 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Film and Digital Content Expert)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||28 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (IT Expert)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||10 Jun 2020||16 Jun 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Cross-Cutting Infrastructure and Financial Modeling Expert)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||05 Mar 2020||11 Mar 2020|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Trade Facilitation and Regulatory Advisor)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||12 Nov 2019||18 Nov 2019|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (Customs Business Process and Risk Management Specialist)||Individual - Consulting||Closed||12 Nov 2019||18 Nov 2019|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development (IT System Design Expert )||Individual - Consulting||Closed||12 Nov 2019||18 Nov 2019|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development||Individual - Consulting||Closed||21 Aug 2019||25 Aug 2019|
|Supporting Logistics Sector Development||Individual - Consulting||Closed||02 Aug 2019||08 Aug 2019|
|Logistics Specialist||Individual - Consulting||Closed||08 Jan 2019||14 Jan 2019|
|Maritime Specialist||Individual - Consulting||Closed||04 Jan 2019||06 Jan 2019|
|Logistics Sector Specialist||Individual - Consulting||Closed||17 Oct 2018||23 Oct 2018|
|Logistics Economist||Individual - Consulting||Closed||28 Sep 2018||04 Oct 2018|
|Logistics and Corridor Expert||Individual - Consulting||Closed||28 Sep 2018||04 Oct 2018|
No contracts awarded for this project were found
None currently available.