Kazakhstan: Institutional Support to the National Quality Center for Road Assets

Sovereign Project | 54092-001

In March 2019, the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan established the National Quality Center for Road Assets (NQCRA) to address identified shortcomings in the road sector. NQCRA is equipped with a range of powers which will enable it to act as a center of excellence and is expected to help deliver substantial improvements to the overall quality of the road network. The government requested for a technical assistance (TA) from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to help strengthen the capacity of the NQCRA in the development of: (i) guidelines and draft amendments and additions to the national regulations for road maintenance, road design, and asset management, and economic analysis including traffic forecasting; (ii) manuals and public outreach materials to enhance driving culture and road quality management; and (iii) a road map for a competency framework for professional and technical staff working in the road sector in regards to Anti-Bribery Management System.

Project Details

  • Project Officer
    Herz, Thomas
    Central and West Asia Department
    Request for information
  • Country/Economy
    Kazakhstan
  • Sector
    • Transport
Project Name Institutional Support to the National Quality Center for Road Assets
Project Number 54092-001
Country / Economy Kazakhstan
Project Status Active
Project Type / Modality of Assistance Technical Assistance
Source of Funding / Amount
TA 6635-KAZ: Institutional Support to National Quality Center for Road Assets
Japan Fund for Prosperous and Resilient Asia and the Pacific US$ 1.00 million
Strategic Agendas Inclusive economic growth
Drivers of Change Gender Equity and Mainstreaming
Governance and capacity development
Partnerships
Sector / Subsector

Transport / Transport policies and institutional development

Gender Equity and Mainstreaming Some gender elements
Description In March 2019, the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan established the National Quality Center for Road Assets (NQCRA) to address identified shortcomings in the road sector. NQCRA is equipped with a range of powers which will enable it to act as a center of excellence and is expected to help deliver substantial improvements to the overall quality of the road network. The government requested for a technical assistance (TA) from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to help strengthen the capacity of the NQCRA in the development of: (i) guidelines and draft amendments and additions to the national regulations for road maintenance, road design, and asset management, and economic analysis including traffic forecasting; (ii) manuals and public outreach materials to enhance driving culture and road quality management; and (iii) a road map for a competency framework for professional and technical staff working in the road sector in regards to Anti-Bribery Management System.
Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy

Kazakhstan has a total road length of 97,000 kilometers (km). As of 2017, 24,000 km were classified as republican (national) roads, of which 92% are paved, including a large proportion of black gravel roads, and 8% consist of oblast (provincial) roads and district roads. The road density is very low at only 3.5 km per 100 square kilometers. There are five technical road categories, from I (four or more lanes) to V (a single lane). Category II and category III roads account for 85% of the republican road network. According to the Global Competitiveness Report 2018, Kazakhstan currently has a rating of 106 out of 140 in terms of quality of roads. As of 1 January 2020, 51% of the republican roads was estimated to be in good condition and 37% in satisfactory condition (in total 88%), and 28% of oblast and local roads was estimated to be in good condition and 43% in satisfactory condition (in total 71%). According to the Nurly Zhol 2020 -2025 state program, the share of republican roads in good and satisfactory condition will be increased to 100%, while that of oblast and district roads to 95%.

The strategy identifies a strong transport sector as a key contributing element to promoting economic growth and diversification. The plan for developing road transport includes not only the improvement of road infrastructure but also a combination of institutional and regulatory reforms, further economic liberalization of the sector, and improvement of road maintenance services. Knowledge products and services are required to improve the system performance with a focus on innovation in road maintenance and defect-free performance-based contracts.

This TA is aligned with (i) key operational priorities of ADB Strategy 2030; (ii) Country Partnership Strategy for Kazakhstan, 2017-2021 and Country Operations Business Plan for Kazakhstan, 2020-2022; (iii) Kazakhstan 2050 Strategy; and (iv) the government's Nurly Zhol 2020-2025.

Impact Transformation of Kazakhstan into a modern society with a knowledge-based, diversified, and private sector-driven economy accelerated
Project Outcome
Description of Outcome Capacity of the NQCRA strengthened
Progress Toward Outcome
Implementation Progress
Description of Project Outputs

Guidelines and draft amendments and additions to the national regulations for road maintenance, road design, and asset management with associated training developed

Manuals and public outreach materials to enhance the driving culture and road quality management developed

Competency framework for professional and technical staff working in the road transport subsector delivered

Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)
Geographical Location Nation-wide
Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects
Environmental Aspects
Involuntary Resettlement
Indigenous Peoples
Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation
During Project Design
During Project Implementation
Business Opportunities
Procurement ADB will engage the consultants and carry out procurement following the ADB Procurement Policy (2017, as amended from time to time) and its associated project administration instructions and/or staff instructions.
Responsible ADB Officer Herz, Thomas
Responsible ADB Department Central and West Asia Department
Responsible ADB Division Transport and Communications Division, CWRD
Executing Agencies
Ministry of Industry and Infrastructure Development formerly "Ministry of Investments and Developments"
32/1 Kabanbay Batyr Ave., Astana
Timetable
Concept Clearance 27 May 2020
Fact Finding 19 Jun 2020 to 19 Jun 2020
MRM -
Approval 04 Dec 2020
Last Review Mission -
Last PDS Update 07 Dec 2020

TA 6635-KAZ

Milestones
Approval Signing Date Effectivity Date Closing
Original Revised Actual
04 Dec 2020 26 Dec 2020 26 Dec 2020 31 Mar 2022 31 Dec 2022 -
Financing Plan/TA Utilization Cumulative Disbursements
ADB Cofinancing Counterpart Total Date Amount
Gov Beneficiaries Project Sponsor Others
0.00 1,000,000.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 1,000,000.00 01 Apr 2022 326,507.34

Project Data Sheets (PDS) contain summary information on the project or program. Because the PDS is a work in progress, some information may not be included in its initial version but will be added as it becomes available. Information about proposed projects is tentative and indicative.

The Access to Information Policy (AIP) recognizes that transparency and accountability are essential to development effectiveness. It establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced.

The Accountability Mechanism provides a forum where people adversely affected by ADB-assisted projects can voice and seek solutions to their problems and report alleged noncompliance of ADB's operational policies and procedures.

In preparing any country program or strategy, financing any project, or by making any designation of, or reference to, a particular territory or geographic area in this document, the Asian Development Bank does not intend to make any judgments as to the legal or other status of any territory or area.


Safeguard Documents See also: Safeguards
Safeguard documents provided at the time of project/facility approval may also be found in the list of linked documents provided with the Report and Recommendation of the President.

None currently available.


Evaluation Documents See also: Independent Evaluation

None currently available.


Related Publications

None currently available.


The Access to Information Policy (AIP) establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced in its operations to facilitate stakeholder participation in ADB's decision-making. For more information, refer to the Safeguard Policy Statement, Operations Manual F1, and Operations Manual L3.

Requests for information may also be directed to the InfoUnit.

Tenders

Tender Title Type Status Posting Date Deadline
Institutional Support to the National Quality Center for Road Assets - Consulting Firm Firm - Consulting Closed 16 Jan 2021 06 Feb 2021

Contracts Awarded

Contract Title Approval Number Contract Date Contractor | Address Executing Agency Total Contract Amount (US$) Contract Amount Financed by ADB (US$)
Capacity Development Technical Assistance 6635 19 May 2021 McCurdy Associates Consulting Engineers Limited(Irish Republic) in association with JSC "Kazakhstan Highway Research Institute" (KAZAKHSTAN) | 1f, 10 Ormonde St. Kilkenny, Ireland Ministry of Industry and Infrastructure Dev't 905,257.00

Procurement Plan

None currently available.