Nauru : Sustainable and Resilient Urban Development Project

Sovereign Project | 54377-002

The proposed NSRUDP will increase access, quality, and safety of urban services for about 2,180 households in Nauru.

The project will:

(i)improve resilience of the water supply across Nauru by building a reticulated water supply network connecting about 60% of the population (1,215 households in high density urban areas) and strengthening the quality, safety, and reliability of the non-reticulated water supply system for the low-density areas for the remaining 40% of the population;

(ii)build a water transfer system from existing desalination plants to the new reticulation network ;

(iii)develop an assessment, improvement, and maintenance scheme for private household rainwater storage systems throughout Nauru to promote resilience through water source diversification, and prepare a periodic maintenance plan for future;

(iv)build a new septage treatment plant with possible biosolids reuse;

Project Details

  • Project Officer
    Thu, Kyaw
    Sectors Group
    Request for information
  • Country/Economy
    Nauru
  • Sector
    • Water and other urban infrastructure and services
Project Name
Sustainable and Resilient Urban Development Project
Project Number
54377-002
Country / Economy
  • Nauru
Project Status
Proposed
Project Type / Modality of Assistance
  • Grant
Source of Funding / Amount
Grant: Sustainable and Resilient Urban Development Project
Source Amount
Asian Development Fund US$ 37.50 million
Operational Priorities
  • OP1: Addressing remaining poverty and reducing inequalities
  • OP2: Accelerating progress in gender equality
  • OP3: Tackling climate change, building climate and disaster resilience, and enhancing environmental sustainability
  • OP4: Making cities more livable
  • OP6: Strengthening governance and institutional capacity
Sector / Subsector
  • Water and other urban infrastructure and services / Urban sanitation - Urban solid waste management - Urban water supply

Gender
Effective gender mainstreaming
Description

The proposed NSRUDP will increase access, quality, and safety of urban services for about 2,180 households in Nauru.

The project will:

(i)improve resilience of the water supply across Nauru by building a reticulated water supply network connecting about 60% of the population (1,215 households in high density urban areas) and strengthening the quality, safety, and reliability of the non-reticulated water supply system for the low-density areas for the remaining 40% of the population;

(ii)build a water transfer system from existing desalination plants to the new reticulation network ;

(iii)develop an assessment, improvement, and maintenance scheme for private household rainwater storage systems throughout Nauru to promote resilience through water source diversification, and prepare a periodic maintenance plan for future;

(iv)build a new septage treatment plant with possible biosolids reuse;

(v)develop an on-site sanitation system assessment and maintenance scheme for on-site sanitation systems throughout Nauru and prepare a periodic maintenance plan for future;

(vi)decommission the existing national sanitation facility; and

(vii)build a composting and solid waste recycling center to promote resources recovery to support a more circular economy.

Outputs will include: (i) climate resilient, safe, sustainable, and efficient water supply system developed; (ii) climate resilient, safe, sustainable, and efficient septage treatment plant, collection, and transport system developed; (iii) composting and waste recycling systems for circular economy developed; (iv) enabling environment, institutional capacity, resilience, and financial sustainability of utilities strengthened to ensure long-term sustainability and resilience.

Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy

Nauru is a small single island state in the central Pacific with a land area of 21 square kilometers and 11,680 people. About two-thirds of the population lives in the narrow coastal area in the west and south. The country is challenged by remoteness, a limited natural resource base, and high levels of poverty with a quarter of the population living below the poverty line in 2019. About 80% of Nauru is non-habitable and non-arable due to the country's once extensive phosphate mining industry.

The government has struggled to provide adequate municipal services to the population. Households face high levels of water insecurity and are heavily reliant on rainwater harvesting and desalinated water tanker deliveries, with limited groundwater use. Periods of prolonged drought, which can last up to 36 months means that rainwater harvesting cannot fully meet households needs. It can take up to one month for households to receive tanker deliveries of desalinated water because of the deteriorating fleet. Due to high diesel and operating costs, the water tariff in Nauru is very high. There are also contamination issues in rainwater storage tanks, and high volumes of Green House Gas emissions for both desalination plants and transport.

On-site sanitation systems serve households, institutions, and businesses, but many existing septic tanks are leaking, or improperly maintained, leading to groundwater contamination. The septage management plant, which is currently non-functional, is also located in a primary school yard, and creates public health risks.

Solid waste is disposed of in an open dump managed by the Nauru Rehabilitation Corporation. Collections services are available to households, but because of the high cost of collections services and open backyard disposal, burning or illegal dumping at sea or unused land is common. Waste is not segregated at source.

Increasing sea levels, water shortages, and increase in temperature due to climate change expose people to an increased threat of both communicable and noncommunicable diseases, water insecurity, and shrinking arable land. There are no adequate regulations and enforcement on water, sanitation, and solid waste sectors. There is also no dedicated regulatory framework to guide zoning and land use planning. Limited access to municipal services disproportionately impacts women and girls.

Impact

Critical infrastructure and municipal service provision in Nauru enhanced and resilience against the impacts of climate change inclusively enhanced, in line with Nauru's National Sustainable Development Strategy 20192030.

Outcome

Climate resilience, efficiency, accessibility, and sustainability of water supply, sanitation, and solid waste management services improved.

Outputs

Climate resilient, safe, sustainable, and efficient water supply system developed

Climate resilient, safe, sustainable, and efficient septage management system

Composting and waste recycling systems for circular economy developed

Enabling environment, institutional capacity, resilience, and financial sustainability of utilities strengthened

Geographical Location
Nation-wide

Safeguard Categories

Environment
B
Involuntary Resettlement
B
Indigenous Peoples
C

Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects

Environmental Aspects
Involuntary Resettlement
Indigenous Peoples

Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation

During Project Design
During Project Implementation

Contact

Responsible ADB Officer
Thu, Kyaw
Responsible ADB Department
Sectors Group
Responsible ADB Division
Water and Urban Development Sector Office (SG-WUD)
Executing Agencies
Department of Finance and Sustainable Development

Timetable

Concept Clearance
22 Mar 2024
Fact Finding
14 Mar 2024 to 22 Mar 2024
MRM
-
Approval
-
Last Review Mission
-
Last PDS Update
22 Mar 2024

Funding

Project Data Sheets (PDS) contain summary information on the project or program. Because the PDS is a work in progress, some information may not be included in its initial version but will be added as it becomes available. Information about proposed projects is tentative and indicative.

The Access to Information Policy (AIP) recognizes that transparency and accountability are essential to development effectiveness. It establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced.

The Accountability Mechanism provides a forum where people adversely affected by ADB-assisted projects can voice and seek solutions to their problems and report alleged noncompliance of ADB's operational policies and procedures.

In preparing any country program or strategy, financing any project, or by making any designation of, or reference to, a particular territory or geographic area in this document, the Asian Development Bank does not intend to make any judgments as to the legal or other status of any territory or area.

None currently available.


Safeguard Documents See also: Safeguards
Safeguard documents provided at the time of project/facility approval may also be found in the list of linked documents provided with the Report and Recommendation of the President.


Evaluation Documents See also: Independent Evaluation

None currently available.


Related Publications

None currently available.


The Access to Information Policy (AIP) establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced in its operations to facilitate stakeholder participation in ADB's decision-making. For more information, refer to the Safeguard Policy Statement, Operations Manual F1, and Operations Manual L3.

Requests for information may also be directed to the InfoUnit.

Tenders

No tenders for this project were found.

Contracts Awarded

No contracts awarded for this project were found

Procurement Plan

None currently available.