A World in Crisis, a World in Progress: Growing Better Together
Think20, the official think tank engagement group of the Group of Twenty (G20), was established in 2012 to provide research-based policy recommendations to help G20 countries and partners promote economic resilience and sustainable development.
Think20 (T20), the official think tank engagement group of the Group of Twenty (G20), was established in 2012 to provide research-based policy recommendations to help G20 countries and partners promote economic resilience and sustainable development. A World in Crisis, a World in Progress: Growing Better Together explores T20’s work and increasing importance.
The book highlights the critical role of think tanks as drivers of policy innovation to address pressing global challenges, drawing on insights from key multilateral organizations, and discusses the emergence of T20 as an integral support mechanism of the G20 forum and policy discussions among global leaders.
It describes the rising influence of think tanks in Asia and how institutions from the region and beyond have helped guide global responses to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic’s health, socioeconomic, and institutional impacts. It stresses the value of formulating and deploying research that is inclusive and considers broad social and geographic experiences.
A World in Crisis, a World in Progress concludes by spotlighting global challenges that require greater attention within the G20, offering policy makers, researchers, and other interested readers an insightful look at how T20 can deepen its support for better policy outcomes for all.
- Preface by Nicolas J. A. Buchoud
- Introduction 1 by Edi Prio Pambudi
- Introduction 2 by Riznaldi Akbar, Bayarbileg Altansukh, and Joohee Han
- Part I: Think Tanks: Solutions Brokers of a Changing World
- 1. Think Tanks: Playing a Role in a Fragmented World by Paolo Magri
- 2. Tapping the Power of International Think Tank Cooperation to Solve Global Challenges by Dennis Görlich and Markus Engels
- Part II: A Decade of T20 and Its Impacts on the G20
- 3. When T20 Met G20 in Hangzhou in 2016 by Yuyan Zhang
- 4. Why the T20 Matters More Than Ever by Güven Sak
- 5. A Decade of T20 and Its Contribution to the G20 by Axel Berger and Anna-Katharina Hornidge
- Part III: The Century of Asian Think Tanks?
- 6. The Century of Asian Think Tanks by Prateek Kukreja and Rehan Kunal Jagota
- 7. ASEAN Think Tanks: Relevance in Turbulent Times by Lydia Ruddy, Fauziah Zen, and Venkatachalam Anbumozhi
- 8. Meeting Growing Expectations by Tetsushi Sonobe
- 9. A Blueprint for a T20 Network in Asia by Sachin Chaturvedi and Priyadarshi Dash
- Part IV: Think Tanks in the Face of the COVID-19 Crisis
- 10. CAREC Institute’s Innovative Knowledge Services during COVID-19 by Eisa Khan Ayoob Ayoobi and Gary Huang
- 11. Think Tanks and Their Early Responses toward the COVID-19 Pandemic by Riatu Mariatul Qibthiyyah and Teuku Riefky
- 12. A European Think Tank’s Experience with the Global Pandemic: The Case of Bruegel by Alicia Garcia Herrero
- Part V: Building a Safer and More Sustainable Future
- 13. Overcoming the Climate Crisis and Achieving the SDGs: After COVID-19 and the Russian Invasion of Ukraine by Kazuo Matsushita
- 14. Balancing the Urgent and the Important: Whither Multilateralism and Collaboration in the G20? by Arunabha Ghosh, Nandini Harihar, and Prayank Jain
- 15. Transforming Africa for a Safer and More Sustainable Future by Mavis Owusu-Gyamfi and Richmond Commodore
- 16. The Green Transition: Making the Most of the Post-Pandemic Recovery by Luiz de Mello
- 17. Increasing Southern Knowledge Production in G20 Processes by Elizabeth Sidiropoulos