Accelerating Equitable Achievement of the MDGs: Closing Gaps in Health and Nutrition Outcomes
SHARE THIS PAGE
With less than 5 years to go before 2015, work has begun on a post-2015 development agenda. This report - sixth in the series published by ADB, ESCAP, and UNDP on MDG achievement in Asia and the Pacific region - is part of that effort.
This report focuses on disparities in Millennium Development Goal (MDG) achievement within and between countries, to address major bottlenecks holding back MDG progress in Asia and the Pacific region. Even countries making rapid economic progress continue to lose shocking numbers of children before their fifth birthdays as well as thousands of mothers who die unnecessarily during childbirth. Given the lagging performance on health outcomes in the region, the report delves into the causes and shows the many opportunities that exist to achieve good health for all. It discusses options, both within and outside of the health sector that could help bring about a turnaround in performance on health in the region, thus accelerating progress in achievement of all the MDGs.
The report is a result of wide consultations, not just among ADB, ESCAP, and UNDP, but also with many UN agencies participating in the Regional Coordination Mechanism. It is a resource which policy makers, development practitioners, and other stakeholders shuold find useful in addressing the remaining challenges in achieving the MDGs.
- MDGs in Asia and the Pacific: Where We Stand
- Diagnosing Disparities
- Closing the Health Gaps
- Way Forward
- Statistical Appendix
- Asia-Pacific Gaining Against Poverty, But Slow to Reduce Hunger, Child and Maternal Deaths: ADB-UN Study
- Supporting the Achievement of the Millennium Development Goals in the Asia and Pacific Region, Phase III
- A Future Within Reach: Reshaping Institutions in a Region of Disparities to meet the Millennium Development Goals
- A Future Within Reach 2008: Regional Partnerships for the Millennium Development Goals in Asia and the Pacific
- The Millennium Development Goals: Progress in Asia and the Pacific 2006
- The Millennium Development Goals: Progress in Asia and the Pacific 2007
- Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in an Era of Global Uncertainty: Asia-Pacific Regional Report 2009/10
- Paths to 2015: MDG Priorities in Asia and the Pacific - Asia-Pacific MDG Report 2010/11