Managing the Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy: Perspectives, Policies, and Practices from Asia
The book assesses the low-carbon and green policies and practices taken by developed Asian countries, identifies gaps, and examines new opportunities for low-carbon green growth.
Asia must be at the center of the global fight against climate change. It is the world’s most populous region, with high economic growth, a rising share of global greenhouse gas emissions, and the most vulnerability to climate risks. Its current resource- and emission-intensive growth pattern is not sustainable. This study recognizes low-carbon green growth as an imperative—not an option—for developing Asia.
Asia has already started to move toward low-carbon green growth. Many emerging economies have started to use sustainable development to bring competitiveness to their industries and to serve growing green technology markets.
The aim of this study is to share the experiences of developed Asian economies and the lessons they have learned. The book assesses the low-carbon and green policies and practices taken by developed Asian countries, identifies gaps, and examines new opportunities for low-carbon green growth.
- Part I: Concepts and Measurements of Low-Carbon Green Growth
- Chapter 1: Pro-Growth, Pro-Job, Pro-Poor, Pro-Environment by Emil Salim
- Chapter 2: Toward a Low-Carbon Asia: Challenges of Economic Development by Venkatachalam Anbumozhi and Masahiro Kawai
- Chapter 3: Green Growth and Equity in the Context of Climate Change by Jeffrey D. Sachs and Shiv Someshwar
- Chapter 4: Evaluation of Current Pledges, Actions, and Strategies by Stephen Howes and Paul Wyrwoll
- Part II: Driving Forces and Incentives of Low-Carbon Green Growth
- Chapter 5: Co-benefit Technologies, Green Jobs, and National Innovation Systems by Sivanappan Kumar, Naga Srujana Goteti, and Prathamesh Savargaonkar
- Chapter 6: Societal Innovations and Lifestyle Choices as a Low-Carbon Development Strategy by Brahmanand Mohanty, Martin Scherfler, and Vikram Devatha
- Chapter 7: Reforms for Private Finance toward Green Growth in Asia by Takashi Hongo and Venkatachalam Anbumozhi
- Chapter 8: Flexible Incentives for Low-Carbon Inclusive Growth by Venkatachalam Anbumozhi and Armin Bauer
- Part III: Regional Cooperation for Managing the Transition
- Chapter 9: Climate Finance and the Role of International Cooperation by Tomonori Sudo
- Chapter 10: Regional Cooperation toward a Green Asia: Trade and Investment by Kaliappa Kalirajan
- Chapter 11: Narrowing the Gaps through Regional Cooperation: Institutions and Governance Systems by Heinrich Wyes