The ASEAN Economic Community: A Work in Progress
Is the vision of an ASEAN Economic Community achievable by 2015? What are the obstacles along the way, and what is needed to accomplish this goal?
This book analyzes the barriers and impediments to realizing the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) by 2015. Specifically, it explores
• whether the AEC is achievable by 2015,
• the obstacles along the way in achieving it, and
• the measures needed for its eventual achievement.
Although the self-imposed deadline for the realization of the AEC is 2015, it should not be viewed as a hard target. One should not expect 2015 to see ASEAN suddenly transformed, its nature and processes abruptly changed, its members' interests substantially altered. Rather, 2015 should be viewed more as a milestone year—a measure of a work in progress—rather than as a hard target year.
Nevertheless, the commitments to the various dimensions of an AEC do reflect the value placed by the ASEAN member countries on regional economic integration, and give them something to both invoke and aspire for.
- Overview – Rodolfo C. Severino and Jayant Menon
- Non-Tariff Barriers: A Challenge to Achieving the ASEAN Economic Community – Myrna S. Austria
- ASEAN Trade in Services – Deunden Nikomborirak and Supunnavadee Jitdumrong
- The ASEAN Economic Community: The Investment Climate – Manu Bhaskaran
- Competition and Intellectual Property Laws in the ASEAN 'Single Market' – Ashish Lall and R. Ian McEwin
- Subregional Zones and ASEAN Economic Community – Richard Pomfret and Sanchita Basu Das
- ASEAN FTAs: State of Play and Outlook for ASEAN's Regional and Global Integration – Razeen Sally
- The ASEAN Dispute Settlement System – Locknie Hsu
- Enhancing the Institutional Framework for AEC Implementation: Designing Institutions that are Effective and Politically Feasible – Helen E.S. Nesadurai
- ASEAN Economic Community Business Survey – Albert G. Hu