Bhutan Vehicle Emission Reduction Road Map and Strategy, 2017–2025
This brief provides policy recommendations to reduce air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions in Bhutan’s transport sector.
Increasing air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles has become a major concern in Bhutan, where vehicle ownership is growing by 15% per year. This brief discusses five policy interventions to reduce vehicle emissions:
• importation of low-sulfur fuels,
• update of vehicle emission standards,
• upgrade of the vehicle emission inspection system,
• restriction of diesel cars and light-duty vehicles, and
• promotion of low-carbon vehicles.