Building Partnerships for Effectively Managing Labor Migration: Lessons from Asian Countries
SHARE THIS PAGE
This book analyzes labor migration trends and policies in Asia and emphasizes the importance of partnerships to promote effective labor migration management.
This report analyzes labor migration trends in Asia and emphasizes the importance of partnerships to promote effective labor migration management. It addresses temporary migrant worker programs, focusing on the Republic of Korea’s Employment Permit System and Malaysia’s Electrical and Electronics industry. It also highlights the key role multilateral and bilateral agreements play in protecting migrant workers’ social security entitlements. Key issues covered are how these partnerships can provide safe, orderly, and fair labor migration, and, hence, a fair environment in Asia’s labor market.
The four chapters capture the ideas, insights, and discussions from the Eighth Roundtable on Labor Migration in Asia - Building Partnerships for Effectively Managing Labor Migration: Lessons from Asian Countries for the UN Global Compact on Migration, hosted by Human Resource Development Korea in Incheon, Republic of Korea, in January 2018. The event, co-organized by the Asian Development Bank Institute, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, and the International Labour Organization, brought together regional experts and policy makers. Two statistical annexes offer detailed coverage of intra-Asia migration flows, as well as cross-regional migration flows.
- Chapter 1: Trends in Labor Migration in Asia by Philippe Herve and Nao Kinoshita
- Chapter 2: The Republic of Korea’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Innovative Policy Elements by Jonathan Chaloff
- Chapter 3: Portability of Social Security for Migrant Workers in Asia by Marius Olivier
- Chapter 4: Migrant Workers in Malaysia’s Electrical and Electronics Industry by Pitchaya Sirivunnabood, Erica Paula Sioson, and Nanum Jeon
- Blog: Greater partnerships for the effective management of labor migration in Asia
- Event: 8th ADBI-OECD-ILO Roundtable on Labor Migration in Asia
- Publication: Labor Migration in Asia: Increasing the Development Impact of Migration through Finance and Technology
- Video: Building Partnerships for Effectively Managing Labor Migration: Lessons from Asian Countries
- Other ADBI Books