Climate Change and Sustainable Water Management in Central Asia
SHARE THIS PAGE
Field observations in Central Asia indicate that the climate has been warming and the consequences of this trend have already been observed. Disasters related to climate change destroy settlements, agricultural land, and infrastructure. Central Asian countries should therefore develop resilience and adapt to climate change. This report shows the results of the research combining field observations with sophisticated satellite-based data and created models to demonstrate the impacts of climate change on the hydrology of the Aral Sea Basin.
This working paper describes the results of research conducted by a technical assistance in Central Asia funded by ADB. The technical assistance on Water and Adaptation Interventions in Central and West Asia combined field observations with sophisticated satellite-based data and created models to demonstrate the impacts of climate change on the hydrology of the Aral Sea Basin.
Adaptation options in Central Asia
Adaptation strategies are very scale-dependent and location-specific. The assessment tools were used to analyze a range of adaptation actions that might be suitable for Central Asia. The options explored can be summarized in three broad categories:
- expanding the supply of water available in the future;
- increasing the productivity of water; and
- reducing future demand for water.
Results indicate that climate change will put additional challenges on decision makers to manage water resources in a beneficial way both to the environment and human life. The results of this technical assistance show that solutions are possible when decision makers will act adequately, resources are available and actions will be taken in common understanding of all countries.
- Assessing Climate Change
- Impacts of Climate Change
- Concrete Adaptation Options in Central Asia
Also in this Series
- Strengthening Food Safety Systems in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Member Countries: Current Status, Framework, and Forward Strategies
- The Impact of COVID-19 and Locust Invasion on Farm Households in Punjab and Sindh: Analysis from Cross-Sectional Surveys in Pakistan
- COVID-19 Pandemic Impacts on Food Security in Central and West Asia: Key Issues and Strategic Options