Climate Change Mitigation: Policies and Lessons for Asia
SHARE THIS PAGE
Asia and the Pacific accounts for over 50% of the world’s total greenhouse gas emissions, driven by rapid economic growth and energy consumption in developing countries. Far-reaching efforts are urgently needed to reduce the region’s emissions and realize a 1.5°C temperature drop required to fight climate change and associated threats to sustainable development, particularly in highly polluted cities.
Many governments have pledged to meet net-zero carbon emissions by around mid-century, but action to transform energy markets alone will not be enough. Measures to promote the decarbonization of the transport, buildings, agriculture, and other sectors must also be taken forward to successfully achieve emissions reduction targets.
Climate Change Mitigation: Policies and Lessons for Asia highlights evidence-based approaches for advancing decarbonization across sectors. It offers timely insights for policy makers and scholars seeking to better understand the region’s climate change mitigation challenges, policy approaches for fostering emissions breakthroughs, and the sustainable development implications.
- Executive Summary
- Introduction by Dil B. Rahut and Dina Azhgaliyeva
- Part I: Energy Sector: Transition toward High Renewable Energy Penetration
- 1. Financing the Energy Transition in a Low-Cost Intermittent Renewable Energy Environment by Frank Wolak
- Part II: Buildings: Promoting and Financing Demand-Side Energy Efficiency
- 2. Future-Proofing Sustainable Cooling Demand by Toby Peters and Leyla Sayin
- 3. Promoting Green Buildings: Barriers, Solutions, and Policies by Dina Azhgaliyeva and Dil B. Rahut
- Part III: Transport Sector: Promoting Cleaner Transportation
- 4. Transport CO2 Mitigation and the Production of Low Traffic Neighborhoods: Lessons from London by Robin Hickman and Andrey Afonin
- 5. Decarbonizing the Transport Sector through Electrification and Biofuel Use in Emerging Economies of Asia by Venkatachalam Anbumozhi, Citra Endah Nur Setyawati, and Rafi Aquary
- Part IV: Decarbonizing through the Agriculture Sector
- 6. Contribution of Agriculture to Climate Change and Low-Emissions Agricultural Development in Asia and the Pacific by Jeetendra Prakash Aryal
- 7. Best Bets for Achieving a Carbon-Neutral Global Food System by David Lobell
- Part V: Carbon Pricing
- 8. Exploiting Complementarity of Carbon Pricing Instruments for Low-Carbon Development in the People’s Republic of China by Jie Wu, Ying Fan, Govinda Timilsina, and Yan Xia
- 9. What Role for Carbon Taxes and Emissions Trading in a Portfolio of Policies to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions? by Frank Jotzo and Dina Azhgaliyeva