Demographic Transition and Its Impacts in Asia and Europe
Demography is a principal driving force for economic growth and social development.
Demography is a principal driving force for economic growth and social development. In Asia and Europe, more developed economies are facing aged or aging societies, while younger economies are experiencing rapid shifts in the age structures of their populations. Although demographic transition has occurred at different times in Asia and Europe, both regions have undergone comparable processes and patterns of change, with the impacts spanning across sectors and groups of people.
Demographic Transition and Its Impacts in Asia and Europe highlights crucial aspects of demographic transition subject to the different characteristics of economies in Asia and Europe. In response to rapid population aging, the book provides practical analysis and insights to help build comprehensive policy frameworks for a resilient economy and greater sustainable development.
- Introduction by Sang-Chul Park, Naohiro Ogawa, Chul Ju Kim, Pitchaya Sirivunnabood, and Thai-Ha Le
- 1. Demographic Transition and Its Impacts on Fiscal Sustainability in East Asia and Southeast Asia by Upalat Korwatanasakul, Pitchaya Sirivunnabood, and Adam Majoe
- 2. “No Flat, No Child” in Singapore: Cointegration Analysis of Housing, Income, and Fertility by Kidjie Saguin
- 3. Consumption Profiles and the Aging of Populations: Insights from Virtual Married Households in Japan, Thailand, and the Philippines by Maria Rebecca Valenzuela, Mikio Suga, and Yasuo Nakatani
- 4. Investigation of Japan’s Value Chain through Research and Development and Innovation under Demographic Change: Implications for Digitalization in the Post-COVID-19 Era by Michael C. Huang and Masahiro Kuroda
- 5. First Demographic Dividend, Digitalization, and Economic Growth: Bangladesh’s Experience by Kazi Arif Uz Zaman and Tapan Sarker
- 6. Promoting Sustainable Development through Realizing the First Demographic Dividend Opportunity in the Digital Economy: The Nepal Experience by Shristi Tandukar, Tapan Sarker, and Sima Rani Dey
- 7. Demographic Transition for Economic Development in Taipei,China: Literature Review and Policy Implications by Chin-Peng Chu and Kuo-Chun Yeh
- 8. Demographic Change and Its Economic Impacts in Sweden by Sang-Chul Park
- 9. Labor Supply of Older Workers in Thailand: The Role of Co-Residence, Health, and Pensions by Sasiwimon Warunsiri Paweenawat and Lusi Liao
- 10. Re-Allocating the Workfare Income Supplement to Improve Retirement Adequacy Outcomes of Low-wage Workers by Damien Huang and Christopher Gee
- 11. Rural–Urban Migration and Demographic Transition in Viet Nam by Huong Vo
- 12. Economic Impacts of Demographic Transition: The Case of Germany by Dieter Eissel