Diversion Weirs and Fish Passages for Small-Scale Irrigation in the Lao People's Democratic Republic
Irrigation schemes provide water resources and improve agricultural production, but careful consideration must be taken to prevent undermining aquatic life. The provision of fishways aid in the uninterrupted movement of fish within an ecosystem where irrigation schemes are applied for land-based food production. It serves as a useful irrigation tool that should be considered in planning, designing, and implementing cost-effective and sustainable development projects for water resource management and food production.
- Fish, Food Security, and Irrigation
- What are Fish Passes and Fishways?
- Importance of Fish Passages in ADB Operations
- Fishway Planning and Design Processes
- Examples of Fishway Designs and Layouts
- Technical Description of Cost–Beneﬁt Analysis
- ADB Irrigation and Fishway Investments in the Lao People's Democratic Republic
- ADB Strategy 2030