An Evolving ASEAN: Vision and Reality
This publication explores the progress of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in achieving its economic integration agenda.
The formation of ASEAN in 1967 was originally driven by political and security concerns. In the decades that followed, ASEAN’s scope evolved to include an ambitious and progressive economic agenda. In December 2015, the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) was formally launched. Although AEC has enjoyed some notable successes, its vision of economic integration has yet to be fully realized. The publication reviews the evolution of ASEAN economic integration and assesses the major achievements. It also examines the challenges that have emerged during the past decade and provides recommendations on how to overcome them.
- Introductory Remarks
- The Evolution of ASEAN: An Overview
- ASEAN Economic Cooperation: Vision, Practice, and Challenges
- The Evolution of ASEAN: From Political and Security Concerns to Regional Economic Integration
- The Development of ASEAN Economic Cooperation and Governing Institutions
- Singapore's Participation in Evolving ASEAN Economic Cooperation and Integration
- ASEAN Economic Community: Malaysia's Evolving Perspectives
- Gearing the Philippines for the ASEAN Economic Community