Financing Affordable Housing in Yangon
This publication provides analysis and recommendations to support the Yangon Region Government to implement its affordable housing agenda and related policies.
Myanmar’s housing sector is struggling to cope with rapid urbanization, internal migration, and new demand arising from recent economic growth. These challenges are most apparent in the Yangon Region, where estimates suggest there will be a housing shortage of 1.3 million units by 2030. After assessing the current housing market situation in Yangon, the publication identifies reform options and offers practical recommendations.
- Executive Summary
- Assessment of the Housing Market, Housing Stock, and Affordability Gaps
- Analysis of the Housing Finance Market
- Existing Legal Frameworks and Market Practices on Housing, Land, and Property in the Yangon Region
- Vulnerabilities of Myanmar to Climate Change and Disaster Risks
- Policy Recommendations for the Development of the Housing Finance Market
- Road Map for the Development of a Rights-Based and Climate-Resilient Housing Sector