Green Freight in the Greater Mekong Subregion
In the Greater Mekong Subregion, freight transport plays a crucial role in the expansion of trade and economic development.
This publication summarizes lessons learned from green freight feasibility analyses conducted under the GMS Core Environment Program between 2010 and 2014. It presents five key messages that policymakers and practitioners need to be aware of while developing strategies and projects to improve road freight fuel efficiency in the GMS. It also provides an overview of the GMS Core Environment Program’s Green Freight Initiative.
- Reducing the cost of logistics and transport will improve economic performance in the GMS.
- Efficient road freight offers a major opportunity to reduce GHG emissions from the transport sector in the GMS.
- Three key target areas to improve fuel efficiency of road freight are technology, logistics management, and driver capacity.
- Freight fuel efficiency actions in the GMS should target SME truck companies.
- Green freight programs could successfully reduce fuel consumption, increase logistics efficiency, and reduce transport sector GHG emissions in the GMS.