Human Capital Development in the People’s Republic of China and India: Achievements, Prospects, and Policy Challenges
This report draws lessons from how Asian economic giants India and the People’s Republic of China leveraged education and skills development to advance economic growth.
The analysis presented similarities and differences in human capital development strategies and their outcomes that helped define development pathways between the two countries. It also outlined the prospects for human capital development in the sustainability of the two countries’ economic growth.
The report was prepared in 2014 under the ADB Technical Assistance Project, Development Partnership Program for South Asia: Innovative Strategies for Accelerated Human Resource Development in South Asia (TA-6337 REG).
- Executive Summary
- Human Capital Development, Achievements, and Gaps
- Human Development and Economic Growth
- Labor Supply and Education Prospects and Challenges
- Skill Upgrading and Wage Inequality: A Microdata Analysis
- Policy Challenges and Recommendations for Human Capital Development