Impact Evaluation of Transport Interventions: A Review of the Evidence
This publication reviews 91 impact evaluations of transport interventions in developing countries, summarizes findings on outcomes, identifies evidence gaps, and proposes ways forward.
Most of the studies reviewed find significant effects on at least one of the outcomes investigated. However, impact evaluation has given relatively little coverage to major areas of investment, such as urban and sustainable transport, transport corridors, and efficiency enhancing measures. New methods and increasing openness of geospatial data provide scope to generate more innovative impact studies in this sector.
- Key Messages
- Importance of Impact Evaluation for the Transport Sector
- Types of Transport Sector Interventions
- Theory of Change for the Transport Sector
- The Challenges of Evaluating Impacts of Transport Interventions
- Impact Evaluations to Date
- Common Impact Evaluation Designs in the Transport Sector
- Outcomes Measured
- Evidence Gaps
- Future Studies