Innovative Strategies in Higher Education for Accelerated Human Resource Development in South Asia: Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is one of the fastest-growing economies in the world. The efficiency of the higher education system is vital for maintaining the country’s momentum and for the country’s move to the next stage of development.
- US$24.00 (paperback)
In order to maximize the full development potential of the higher education system, strategic interventions will be needed at both the national, such as creation of appropriate economic and institutional regimes, as well as an efficient national policy for fostering innovation, and university levels. University-level interventions would include capacity building, improvements in the learning environment, exposure of students to the world of work, and promoting international best practices.
This report presents current arrangements and initiatives in the country’s skills development strategies. These are complemented by critical analyses to determine key issues, challenges, and opportunities for innovative strategies toward global competitiveness, increased productivity, and inclusive growth. It emphasizes making skills training more relevant, efficient, and responsive to emerging domestic and international labor markets.
About this publication
This publication is part of a series of six country reports on technical and vocational education and training (TVET) and higher education in Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. The reports were finalized in 2013 under the Australian AID-supported Phase 1 of Subproject 11 (Innovative Strategies for Accelerated Human Resource Development) of Regional Technical Assistance 6337 (Development Partnership Program for South Asia).
- Executive Summary
- Socioeconomic Background
- The Higher Education System
- Major Issues and Constraints in Higher Education
- Innovations and Good Practices
- A Summary of Major Challenges and Recommended Interventions
Also in this Series
- Innovative Strategies for Accelerated Human Resource Development in South Asia: Teacher Professional Development—Special Focus on Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka
- Innovative Strategies for Accelerated Human Resource Development in South Asia: Information and Communication Technology for Education—Special Focus on Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka
- Innovative Strategies for Accelerated Human Resource Development in South Asia: Public–Private Partnerships for Education and Training—Special Focus on Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka