Lao PDR: At the Crossroads of Change
'Large scale irrigation improvements supported by ADB have enabled Nithong Keoudom, a mother and farmer of 1.5 hectares of rice paddies, to draw water for her fields as necessary and bring in six times her income from surplus rice.'
Lao PDR has undergone dramatic transformation in the last three decades - reduced poverty levels, improved infrastructure, enhanced education and health, and emerging sectors such as hydropower, mining, and ecotourism. ADB has provided financial assistance to the country since 1968. Through the end of 2009, the country has received ADB loans and grants of almost $1.4 billion to support development in the range of sector including transport, energy, education, agriculture, and health.
- Lao People's Democratic Republic Development Indicators
- Lao People's Democratic Republic and ADB: From Isolation to Integration
- ADB's Contribution to Development and Poverty Reduction
- Operational Effectiveness: Improving Efficiency and Performance
- Future Challenges: The Road Ahead