Least Developed Sucos: Timor-Leste
This paper assesses the distribution of opportunity in the village level in Timor-Leste.
Timor-Leste has committed to creating fair and inclusive opportunity. To assist the pursuit of this goal, the paper assesses the distribution of opportunity in the sucos (i.e., village) level. This publication identifies the least-developed sucos that mostly need extra support.
- Sucos with the highest living standards are concentrated in or close to Dili and district centers. Sucos with the lowest living standards are the most remote and have small populations.
- There is a large gap in opportunity between sucos of high- and low-living standards.
- Sucos with higher living standards have better infrastructure and health care opportunities. Education opportunity is distributed more equitably than aceess to infrastructure and health.
- Measuring Living Standards
- Alternative Approaches
- Observations and Suggestions