Methodological Framework for Unlocking Maritime Insights Using Automatic Identification System Data: A Special Supplement of Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific 2023
SHARE THIS PAGE
This publication explores how data from ships’ Automatic Identification System (AIS) can be used to produce near real-time, granular statistics for analyzing maritime activities and detecting disruptions to port operations.
Recent global supply chain disruptions have underscored the need for more timely and accurate data. This publication shows how indicators from AIS data can be used to supplement official statistics. Highlighting how AIS data can swiftly capture the impact of events on major ports and maritime highways, it outlines a framework to leverage this data and support a broader understanding of maritime activities from major hubs and cases of disruptions.
- Automatic Identification System as an Alternative Data Source
- Framework for Deriving Indicators from Automatic Identification System Data
- Data Processing
- Automatic Identification System Indicators for Maritime Hubs
- Understanding Maritime Activity Disruptions Using Automatic Identification System Data
- Summary and Conclusion
- Appendix: Global Movements Data