Modernizing Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures in CAREC: An Assessment and the Way Forward
This publication assesses the plant health, animal health, and food safety measures of member countries of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program.
The assessment covers laws and procedures governing the oversight and application of sanitary and phytosanitary measures, laboratory infrastructure, and border services management. CAREC members include Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, the People's Republic of China, Georgia, Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
- Agreements under the World Trade Organization and International Standards
- The Rationale for and Categorization of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures
- Strategic Reform in Liberalizing Agriculture Trade
- Measuring Border Management Performance
- Assessment of the CAREC Region
- Regulatory Assessment
- Assessment of Laboratory Capacity
- Assessment of Border Services Management
- Conclusion and Action Plan for Modernizing Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures in CAREC Countries