New Towns and New Districts Case Studies from the People's Republic of China
SHARE THIS PAGE
This is a joint publication of ADB and College of Architecture and Urban Planning of Tongji University as part of their cooperation on the Regional Knowledge Hub for Sustainable Urban Development in the People's Republic of China (PRC). Included are the results of the Hub's fourth annual South–South Knowledge Sharing Seminar held in November 2013.
The book provides a historic and international perspective on the topic and includes three case studies from the PRC. The New-Type Urbanization Plan (2014–2020) and slower economic growth have brought about paradigm shift toward a more socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable economic and urban development model, which will influence the next generation of new towns and new districts in the PRC.
- Foreword by Asian Development Bank
- Foreword by Tongji University
- Executive Summary
- Introduction to New Towns and New Districts
- Planning Concept and Development Model of New Towns and New Districts in the People’s Republic of China
- Eco-Cities in Europe: Compact, Mixed-Use, Green, Livable New Districts
- Introduction to the Three Chinese New Town Case Studies
- Case Studies of New Towns and New Districts in the People’s Republic of China
- Beichuan New Town: Sustainable Development through Post-Earthquake Reconstruction in a Remote Area
- Wuxi Taihu New Town: Planning and Implementation Timeline of Taihu New Town
- Shanghai Jiading New Town: Adjusting a Plan toward Sustainable Development
- Appendix : ADB–Tongji Urban Knowledge Sharing Seminar