Facilitating Power Trade in the Greater Mekong Subregion: Establishing and Implementing a Regional Grid Code
This report explains the complex challenges facing the six countries in the renewables-rich Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) as they work to implement a comprehensive framework to enable regional electricity power trading.
Against the backdrop of energy market volatility, it details how ADB is helping high-voltage electricity network operators reach a deal on interconnections which could unlock extensive economic benefits for each GMS country.
Acknowledging a transparent power-sharing regime is still some way off, it provides a road map to help countries overcome infrastructural challenges and political concerns to build a fully synchronized GMS transmission network.
- Executive Summary
- GMS Institutional Planning for Regional Power Trade
- GMS Networks and Stakeholders
- GMS Interconnection Options
- Grid Code Types and Applications
- Scope of the GMS Regional Grid Codes
- Implementation of Power Trading
- Conclusions and Recommendations